Too much stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
Well, we've been stove shopping and through the process of elimination, we seem to be settling in on either a Harman Accentra 52i Insert or an Enviro M55 Cast Insert (52K & 55K BTU). We did look at free-standing but our fireplace is 39" from the very back to the end of the hearth and there is only 15" from the fireplace wall to the end of the hearth (level with floor). Because many free-standing have either controls, clean-out ports or hoppers toward the back of the stove, it would have to be largely out of the fireplace alcove and the boss doesn't want that as it will make a small living room seem even smaller.

My house is a center-chimney cape wherein the center living area (LR, DR, KIT, & foyer) is 624 sq. ft., the bedroom upstairs w/bathroom is also 624 sq. ft. A breakfast room off the KIT is 169 sq. ft. and the ell off the living room (bathroom, office and bedroom) off a common hallway is 480 sq. ft. The house as a whole would not be called open-concept. I was in large home with an Accentra running and it was 77 degrees and it is 2200 sq ft. on the main floor and I wonder where my home is smaller would the Accentra or Enviro be too much stove. As I understand it, with either stove I can select 70 degrees and the stove will try to maintain that but will it be so under-worked that problems might arise? If those in the know feel it might be, are there other inserts that might make more sense with BTU ratings between 35000 to 45000? Thanks in advance.

Paul

I heat a large floor plan w the 52i. I would consider the 35i as well. They have different aesthetics, but I think they can both do the job. Good luck.

The idling of a larger stove should not be an issue, especially the harmans in my experience run well and reliably when being burned on low. I am biased, I do like the harmans but I have sold and worked on harmans and enviro's and enviro stove reliability is good, however so is Harmans and if you do a quick price comparison in OEM replacement part costs you will notice harmans tend to be quite a bit less. Also generally easier and quicker to get Harman parts than enviros if the part is not in stock, if you are in America, since the part for enviro come from Canada and have to go through customs.

The idling of a larger stove should not be an issue, especially the harmans in my experience run well and reliably when being burned on low. I am biased, I do like the harmans but I have sold and worked on harmans and enviro's and enviro stove reliability is good, however so is Harmans and if you do a quick price comparison in OEM replacement part costs you will notice harmans tend to be quite a bit less. Also generally easier and quicker to get Harman parts than enviros if the part is not in stock, if you are in America, since the part for enviro come from Canada and have to go through customs.

One thing that has me leaning toward the Harman is the bottom feed that allows you to scrape the burn pot and remove ash without having to cool down the stove for an hour or two. Another thing I like is the prices we are being quoted have the Accentra about $1000 less than the equivalent Enviro. Your comment about it being 100% made in the USA has probably sealed my decision.

the stoves are 100% assembled in America, Pennsylvania to be exact, but like everyone they are sourcing some parts like motors from companies like fasco that have their motors made where ever. Everyone that I know of though does source their motors and vacuum switches and such so its unavoidable as far as I know. Enviro makes a good stove, but me personally I can troubleshoot a Harman faster and replace it with parts normally 50 to 75% the cost of enviro's when talking about oem parts pricing.

Well, we've been stove shopping and through the process of elimination, we seem to be settling in on either a Harman Accentra 52i Insert or an Enviro M55 Cast Insert (52K & 55K BTU). We did look at free-standing but our fireplace is 39" from the very back to the end of the hearth and there is only 15" from the fireplace wall to the end of the hearth (level with floor). Because many free-standing have either controls, clean-out ports or hoppers toward the back of the stove, it would have to be largely out of the fireplace alcove and the boss doesn't want that as it will make a small living room seem even smaller.

My house is a center-chimney cape wherein the center living area (LR, DR, KIT, & foyer) is 624 sq. ft., the bedroom upstairs w/bathroom is also 624 sq. ft. A breakfast room off the KIT is 169 sq. ft. and the ell off the living room (bathroom, office and bedroom) off a common hallway is 480 sq. ft. The house as a whole would not be called open-concept. I was in large home with an Accentra running and it was 77 degrees and it is 2200 sq ft. on the main floor and I wonder where my home is smaller would the Accentra or Enviro be too much stove. As I understand it, with either stove I can select 70 degrees and the stove will try to maintain that but will it be so under-worked that problems might arise? If those in the know feel it might be, are there other inserts that might make more sense with BTU ratings between 35000 to 45000? Thanks in advance.

Paul
Your describing basically a house size of very roughly 1800 square ft. I heat an 1800 sq ft cape with a closed in breezeway ( that is my studio room I'm right now incidentally) and kitchen extension areas using the P61 A. I have found the key to keeping warm in the outer rooms is the stoves convection blower being up on high in the real cold weather. That and some ceiling fans running in reverse to help pull the warm air And the 52i has a really strong double blower on it. My theory was to push the air out of the stove room and it works, that room isn't as hot as if to run a low blower and the outer rooms are noticeably warmer. But the good new, my P61 is a larger stove than the 52i in terms of BTU, it works great even in the less demanding shoulder seasons!

One thing that has me leaning toward the Harman is the bottom feed that allows you to scrape the burn pot and remove ash without having to cool down the stove for an hour or two. Another thing I like is the prices we are being quoted have the Accentra about $1000 less than the equivalent Enviro. Your comment about it being 100% made in the USA has probably sealed my decision.
I have a top feeder that I scrape as needed without cooling down, I have never shut the stove down to scrape the pot, only for weekly cleanings.

This info is great. I am much less apprehensive making the switch from a regular wood to a pellet stove knowing you guys are around. Thanks.

With the M55's agitator you don't need to scrape the burn pot or remove the ash until the weekly cleaning. I don't touch my stove except to fill the hopper in between cleanings

With the M55's agitator you don't need to scrape the burn pot or remove the ash until the weekly cleaning. I don't touch my stove except to fill the hopper in between cleanings
That sounds like a great feature.

That sounds like a great feature.

I did see that in the shop. I just realized my friend's Accentra is the 42,000 BTU model and the new Accentra is 52K. Just hope it doesn't blow me out of the house if that is the one I decide to buy. I do admit it did feel good when in his house and I know know what some of you mean when saying you're in shorts and a t-shirt at home during winter.

Well, just plunked down a deposit and an Accentra 52i is on its way. Install will be November 1 so here's hoping for a mild October.

I did see that in the shop. I just realized my friend's Accentra is the 42,000 BTU model and the new Accentra is 52K. Just hope it doesn't blow me out of the house if that is the one I decide to buy. I do admit it did feel good when in his house and I know know what some of you mean when saying you're in shorts and a t-shirt at home during winter.
When using the accentra in room temp it will keep the temp with in 1 degree of the set temp so you won't melt no matter what size your house is

When using the accentra in room temp it will keep the temp with in 1 degree of the set temp so you won't melt no matter what size your house is

Someone else informed me of that fact and that was the point when I made the decision to get the 52i. Being in NH means temps can get pretty low and I want a stove that I can crank if necessary. Thanks.

You will be very happy with the accentra let us know when it's installed send pics please

Oh when your cleaning your harman for the first time you will find "Made in the USA" written on the parts of the stove.cool huh

Oh when your cleaning your harman for the first time you will find "Made in the USA" written on the parts of the stove.cool huh

I can't wait. I'm hoping there is a cancellation and the install happens sooner. Just had an oil delivery (750.00) and I'd like to go the rest of the winter without another delivery if possible.

As long as you got pellets won't have to worry about the oil man this stove will run over 12 hours on a full hopper and it puts out the heat go buy t- shirts and shorts for the winter while their on sale

Reactions: Peterfield
I too have an oil furnace and after last winter I told the wife that's it oil gotta go my last tank of fuel cost me just under $1000 at that point I was pretty agitated.after doing about a years researching alternate heating methods ended up with the 52i and love it.

We got the P61A because of the extra BTU over the 52i, our old cape will never be as tight as as a new house. Also for the p series ease of cleaning. For an insert though the 52i is easy to clean, it's not the nightmare of some inserts but the p is so simple it just all added up to that stove for us. i have a couple of health issues that kind of negates a squat and gr Anyway We used about 2/3 of a tank of oil from Jan till mid May when the heat wasn't needed any longer for last season and that was for our tenants apartment that is heated off that system. THe heat never came on for our house once the P61A went in, just once when I did an extended cleaning including the chimney liner one cold Sat morning. At that I cringed at the sound of it firing up for our house so I turned the heat down to shut it up !!

We got the P61A because of the extra BTU over the 52i, our old cape will never be as tight as as a new house. Also for the p series ease of cleaning. For an insert though the 52i is easy to clean, it's not the nightmare of some inserts but the p is so simple it just all added up to that stove for us. i have a couple of health issues that kind of negates a squat and gr Anyway We used about 2/3 of a tank of oil from Jan till mid May when the heat wasn't needed any longer for last season and that was for our tenants apartment that is heated off that system. THe heat never came on for our house once the P61A went in, just once when I did an extended cleaning including the chimney liner one cold Sat morning. At that I cringed at the sound of it firing up for our house so I turned the heat down to shut it up !!

My choices were somewhat limited in that the boss wanted it to look like the Jotul wood stove we had been heating with and didn't want the stove extending too far out of the fireplace. I personally like the old style Harman with the nickel trim and reported ease of cleaning. Anyway, we visited with friends that have the predessor of the 52i and were impressed with the heat it produced and the ascetics and when my wife saw the Majorca brown enamel model in the showroom, the deal was done. I am so looking forward to shutting off the two heating zones and adding antifreeze to the oil heat system so I'll have no worries about any pipes freezing like last year.

Reactions: alternativeheat
My choices were somewhat limited in that the boss wanted it to look like the Jotul wood stove we had been heating with and didn't want the stove extending too far out of the fireplace. I personally like the old style Harman with the nickel trim and reported ease of cleaning. Anyway, we visited with friends that have the predessor of the 52i and were impressed with the heat it produced and the ascetics and when my wife saw the Majorca brown enamel model in the showroom, the deal was done. I am so looking forward to shutting off the two heating zones and adding antifreeze to the oil heat system so I'll have no worries about any pipes freezing like last year.
Yes I like the brown finish as well on the insert, the wife liked the black. We thought long and hard on this purchase assuming it is our last in house stove purchase ( I would like something for the basement, I have a wood shop down there) but that can be any old thing that gives off heat really and doesn't have to be a top end stove for part time use.. You will love the insert, I've been in places with them working and they do a great job even better than the old version !

As long as you got pellets won't have to worry about the oil man this stove will run over 12 hours on a full hopper and it puts out the heat go buy t- shirts and shorts for the winter while their on sale

Well, just ordered two tons of Maine's Choice from one vendor, who will deliver them in a couple of days. Kind of comical but the reason I got them was those waiting for Green Supremes to come in would not agree to the store's request to take Maine's Choice instead, even though the Maine's Choice they have ARE Green Supremes. Same bar code and the manager confirmed the same mix. I also found other vendors who have invoked an anti-hoarding policy with no more pellets by the ton. These vendors had several brands to choose from at fair prices so I am picking up a few bags of Oakanagan Golds, Barefoots, New England's and Inferno Gold to compare their performance for possible future purchases.

Reactions: Big papa
Status
Not open for further replies.