TOO MUCH WOOD AHEAD.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Upstate South Carolina
Gentlemen, I have wood stacked all over my property and I guess I'm five or six years ahead, mostly red oak, white oak , and hickory. I have been burning some of my older stacks and find that it's not the best wood. After three years or so the bugs have chewed on it and left a bunch of chew saw dust. This gets wet and holds moisture causing the whole stack to stay wet. If I unstack the pile and hit the splits with a wire brush it'll dry in a couple of days and be good. I have burnt some of my three year old stuff and find that is the best. So I guess it's best not to be too far ahead. I turned 70 a while ago and it's natures way of telling me that I'm taking this wood pile thing much too seriously. No need to have too much wood. David.

After the second year of single row stacks off the ground, cover the tops for the last year. The wood will out last all of us on this forum, if cared for in this manner. Post a picture of your piles.

I agree with you captain hornet. After three or four years many tree species seem to loss btu's. The key seems to be top covering or put it in a wood shed. Keep it dry in other words. I have had some red oak and soft maple really go south after 4 or 5 years before I started top covering. You must be blessed with good health with all that wood at 70. ^5s to you.

I highly disagree with wood losing the btu's unless it has not been top covered. Top cover the wood and stack it off the ground, it will last for many, many years. We've seen it last well over 10 years with no problem and it was fantastic firewood.

As for having too much wood? Hard to agree with that one too. 5-6 years ahead is fantastic. And hey Captain Hornet, your age definitely says it is great to be that far ahead. I'm a bit past you already and can tell you it gives a great feeling to be even 7 or more years ahead on the wood. After all, we never know what might happen and what if something would happen. We've seen a few members on this forum, including myself who have had a couple of bad years and could not get out to cut, split and stack. Okay, no problem. Now you are all set and need not bother relatives or friends or neighbors to help put up wood nor will you have to buy wood. This is just one of the benefits of being years ahead on the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.