Too much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
So, I have about 2 cords, seasoned red oak, maple, cedar under wood shed. I also have ~1.5 cord soft maple CSS last march that's drying fast out in open. Also have 6x6x5 ugly/short bin that I've been using so far this winter.

Should I let the oak sit and use as much 20-25 % maple as I can? Or the opposite?

If the oak is dry save for colder weather and use the maple. If it's marginal mix in the dryer stuff with it. I like cedar for startups as a mix in to get a cold stove to temp quick then let the denser woods finish out the burn cycle.

I'd burn the uglies during the day, and then work on the seasoned pile, but set the oak aside unless it was a cold night. The soft maple will be better next year so I'd give it another year. If I ended up the winter with a small pile of seasoned oak, that would be great to save for next year. You don't have time to season more oak for next winter, so the oak you have now is all you'll have for next year. Save it for cold nights when you want a long burn.

Ideally you should have all of the wood you'll need next year already stacked and seasoning, so you don't have too much wood in my opinion.

Wood duck, forgot to mention. I only use ~1.5 - 2c per year, wood shed holds ~2.5. Good point about the oak, I'll definitely hold that back.

Never have to much wood, just my opinion. Save the oak it will be worth it. Use the cedar and maple.

yea - like having too much money - I have 20 or so cord stacked and have burned very little this year but I was out adding more now that ground has finally begun to freeze. I feel comfy at 5+ years in the stacks. Then I get picky.

I have 5-6 years worth- local authorities don't like that- they must have a lot of stock in the utilities is all I can figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.