Too much wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
Here is an unusual problem.
I just bought a new house and it has way too many trees in the front yard. I estimate I will be cutting about 55 trees down, some as big as 3' at the base. In all I will probably end up with 30 cord. I will burn about 3 1/2 cord a year. I have from my previous house 7 seasoned, split cord and about 3 1/2 unseasoned split cord. In other words some of this wood will not be burned for 12 years from when it is cut. What is the best way to preserve this wood short of dipping it in wax? I am thinking stack it with an excavator log length then pull of a couple logs each year to split and stack.
Any other thoughts besides "give me some"

log length would be best

Can you cut them down over time? I would think thinning them out over time would be better than cutting them all down then not having a place to store them.

Just a thought,
Shipper

I'm jealous, why not just sell some you firewood miser. :lol:

Part of what I find so attractive about burning wood is that the fuel source is renewable, and sustainable, to an extent. Wood IS renewable if we replace what we cut down. So while I can sympathize with your position of wanting to cut down trees that are in your way, perhaps you can be more selective right now and only take down that which is really in your way, and then over time take down more as you need it.
However, if you need to take them all down aside from keeping them log length, I'd say just make sure they're not laying on the ground. Connecticut is a rocky area, so perhaps you can build something using rocks on your property.

Keep it off the ground and it will last a very long time. It will last even longer if it's kept dry.

If you need someone to take some of it off your hands, I'm right around the corner and have a 14k trailer. :cheese:

S.E. Ct. can't be that far from Westchester County, NY. You could store some of it on my woodpile. As payment for storage, I will burn about 3 cords/year.

clarkharms said:
Here is an unusual problem.
I just bought a new house and it has way too many trees in the front yard. I estimate I will be cutting about 55 trees down, some as big as 3' at the base. In all I will probably end up with 30 cord. I will burn about 3 1/2 cord a year. I have from my previous house 7 seasoned, split cord and about 3 1/2 unseasoned split cord. In other words some of this wood will not be burned for 12 years from when it is cut. What is the best way to preserve this wood short of dipping it in wax? I am thinking stack it with an excavator log length then pull of a couple logs each year to split and stack.
Any other thoughts besides "give me some"

Clarkharms, that indeed is a very unusual problem! Or should I say it would be for me as I can't get too many trees in the front or back yard.

If I were to tackle that job, I'd simply do it all and get the entire job done. I'd cut to length and stack it in 3 rows. For the bottom I would place landscape timbers, 4 x 4's, railroad ties or just some small poles similar to the picture.

Wood-2009c.gif

Once you get it all stacked, then put something on (top only) for a cover. We use old galvanized roofing but there are many ways to cover the wood pile. Just have it so it doesn't become an eyesore, especially to the ladies.

If you stack the wood in this manner there will be no problem with a 12 year supply keeping well. Not only that but the wood will be seasoned so good that it gives maximum heat with very little creosote. It means less work cleaning stove and chimney.

That said, you also can stack it in log lengths.

Too bad you have to cut these trees down before their time.
Keep what you need. Sell the extra firewood (properly sized and seasoned, of course - be the first on your block to do so!).
Happy burning.

"Give me some" was going to be my first smart ass response. I'm in S.E. CT also. That said, log length, off the ground and covered on the top should keep for a long time. The more air circulation the better. If you have "bark to bark" contact it will start to get punky over the years not to mention the bugs.
The neighbor has some trees that he cut down over 6 years ago, and where they are off the ground they are still in good shape.

All of my logs from selective logging 5 years ago are pretty much done, burnable but done, even the ones on top of the 15' piles. I wouldn't leave them that way for too long.

Your best method for long term storage is the driest method. How do you get moisture out of wood?? - Cut and split it. Cut and split, properly stacked off of the ground with good air circ. is gonna keep it the best in my opinion.

Flatbedford said:
S.E. Ct. can't be that far from Westchester County, NY. You could store some of it on my woodpile. As payment for storage, I will burn about 3 cords/year.

Oops, I had the map upside down. S.E. CT couldn't be much further from me and still be in CT. I guess I can't help you out. :long:

built yourself a log wood shelter, cut/split/stack/season for some time and move them into log structure for long term storage?

I think wood should last longer cut, split, and dry than in log length. Logs don't season well, and the moisture trapped in them will support fungus, rot, etc. If I had the option, I'd cut, split, and stack a couple of yeras' worth now, and leave the rest as an ongoing project. Too much wood? -that would be a nice problem to be stuck with.

Stacked log length is just going to be a big rotting moisture pile. Besides, you will need to sell some to pay for the monster bill for stump removal and debris landfill fees.

My choice to do all the land clearing at once is based on economics and logistics. I will be renting an excavator to run new underground utilities, upgrading to 200 amp, so I can pull stumps with that while the electricians are busy doing their work. I will probably buy then sell a wood chipper to handle all the brush, I have my eye on the vermeer 625 which should suit my needs well. Having landscapers out once to install igs and hydroseed is also much cheaper than having them out several times.
From a burning wood stand point I agree that the best management would be take what you need when you need it but overall wood is a small part of the equation. Also to be clear I am saving many old growth trees that should do a lot better once the competition for light and soil goes away. I think the yard will look much better with a few beautiful specimens than the over grown jungle it is now.

So often I see nice new yards where they thinned out the trees only to have a storm blow through and and destroy what they left. Trees only grow as strong as they need to and have their strength in numbers.

LLigetfa said:
So often I see nice new yards where they thinned out the trees only to have a storm blow through and and destroy what they left. Trees only grow as strong as they need to and have their strength in numbers.
That is a concern to me but not much I can do about it. I need a place to play tackle football with my 2 year old son, when he is bigger, like 16, I will play two hand touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.