Too soon to move wood into garage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
I have some freshly cut/split ash and was going to stack it outside for another month or so before moving it into the garage with the rest of my wood. A buddy of mine said I might as well move it into the garage now, since it will dry out faster as our garage is heated (~60F). Any thoughts as to what I should do? I hate to stack it if I can just move it into the garage now.

Heat is not the answer to seasoning your wood, air circulation is.
I would keep it loosely stacked outside for as long as possible so that the sun and the wind will dry it faster than if it were in the garage.

BigV said:
Heat is not the answer to seasoning your wood...
It's all relative... RH is more important than heat, not counting extreme heat as in a kiln, but sometimes the RH is too high in the absence of heat, particularly at this time of year.

i think with ash you'll be alright bringing it in. as far as heat not being the solution, just to give it a shot i have brought about 1/2 cord wood down my basement(where my wood stove is) that was "green" cut two months before. left it on a rack and within a few weeks it was perfectly seasoned and burnt just fine. I am not the only one who tried this with good results. Its probably not the ideal way versus waiting a year letting it season outside... but it definately works and puts humidity bqck in the air at the same time

Perhaps in your climate it might be best to get it indoors but I would not count on it drying much.

The ash I have run across dried pretty fast, that was outside in the sun and wind. If you need to burn it this season and it's split pretty small you could cross stack it and run a fan over it to promote drying. On the other hand if it's not needed until next season you could just leave it outside.

I would buy a cheapo temp/humidity gage and see what the humidity is in the garage vs the outside. I have been finding that the humidity outside is getting dryer as we get closer to winter so I think this is the most optimal seasoning time. I am waiting till a forecast of big snowfall to start moving my firewood to my rack beside my garage.

I'm moving and burning my Ash in. Splitting and moving to garage dead trees felled 2 months ago. I split them a bit on the small side and they are working. Drier would be better but I didn't want to handle the wood twice either.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.