too thin to split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimcope

Aug 1, 2008
howell mi
Been getting free wood hear the their I live on ten wooded acres that is a help. My splitting by had is going good. I have some 8 in logs and thiner My question is where do you stop spliting wood when it becomes not as thick thin as we like?
Thanks to all jim.

I like to have a variety of splits, so some get split down as thin as 2-3". Not everything, but enough so that I don't run out.

Just like BeGreen, i do mine very randomly. Some of my 3 to 4 inch wood i split so that i have some small stuff for when the fire dies down. Some of my 6 to 7 inch stuff i don't bother to split.

Splitting sone of the 4"-6" in half will let them dry faster, but you don't have to split them. I split about 50% of mine that are that size. I only split them once.

I basically split everything that I am going to burn. I woudl rather burn dryer wood than potentially larger wetter wood, regardless of burn time

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I basically split everything that I am going to burn. I woudl rather burn dryer wood than potentially larger wetter wood, regardless of burn time

Same here, I split pretty much everything, at least once. No big deal when you father in law hasn't asked for his 22 ton splitter back that I have had since April.

Some rounds of about 4" or so diamter, I split in half. Rarely do I load a full round larger than that into the stove. I like having smaller splits available for fire building & stove stuffing. Some I split to 2.63" across, some I leave at 3.27". Kindling I take all the way down to 0.68" I have these parameters marked on my wood calipers with a red Sharpie. Rick

thanks to all for ansewering my question
jim

Status
Not open for further replies.