Too warm here now, how about your neck o the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2005
South Shore MA
On Saturday I shut the stove down and it's been off since.
Temps have been in the 50's during the day since then.
Nights hovering from mid 30's to 40 and it's just too hot
in here if I run the stove at those outside temps soooo,
she's staying off. Have a full tank of oil so will just use
that if I need to in the overnight hours. Time for the
tear down and full cleaning and then put her to sleep
for the summer.

Ran my stove until this morning.

I shut it down for the day. :)
Probably re-start it tonight if it gets cool again.

First time since October.

---Nailer---

I'll probably burn another ton or so if weather stays nice.

My temps are about the same if not a touch warmer. Stove is still on stat and cycles as needed(mostly just mornings) to keep house at 72ºF when we are at home. Spring is in the air and seeing bugs all over. Hope this isn't just a big tease???

yeah, I'm down to half a bag/day rate...I have my stove in "manual" mode, so it won't shut off (nature of this particular beast), but its basically on "idle", most of the time. The room fan was off and on yesterday. (in colder weather, it just stays on constantly).

Snow last night but supposed to be near 60 by Sunday.

We can and likely will see sporadic cool temps till May.

Wet weather will usually be pretty well over by mid May.

With 3 stoves in the house we will run the Whitfields as needed to keep things warm. Once the outside temps get to the point that the overnight readings are in the 50F+ readings we will need at least a spot fire.

Once it gets to be hit and miss I will let the Quad (On a stat) take over until fall.

With the El nino starting to fall off its hard to say what we will get for a spring.

I have seen some nasty wet and cold ones

March has certainly started "IN LIKE A LION"

I have seen snow showers in April too so ???????????//

I don't totally rule out a fire until JULY. Then the AC runs most days.

Never happy eh

Snowy

Switched the stove to On-Off mode last weekend, and am burning what's left of the Premier pellets I have. Stove is at 1-1, and keeps the house at 71 when it's on.

If we get any colder days, will throw in CleanFires to finish the "shoulder" heating season.....I have my fingers crossed that the real cold is done, and I won't need to dip back into the "good pellets".

Still running the XXV here and there to keep the chill out of the house.
The Advance has been idle for about a week but I don't dare close it up
for the season quite yet.

I dropped to 1- last week which is as low as I can go without shutting it off.

I've got 6 bags left on the pallet I'm burning from and if the weather cooperates will likely shut the stove off when they are done, really clean it out, replace a couple of gaskets and test some pellets for my next OINK fest.

It is also getting to be time for gardening, doing coop and run repairs, and raising my replacement flock.

Winter still has a firm grip on Europe. Two days ago they had a very rare heavy snow fall way down in Southern France and Northern Spain. I've found a couple of pics from the mediterranean coast of France taken two days ago.

Up here in Northern Europe it's still very cold. We have the coldest winter in 14 years. Although we're in the beginning of march, two days ago we had a very cold night... - 19.1 °C ( - 2.4 °F ), so my Whitfield pellet stove is still working overtime.

I hope it gets warmer soon, so I can make the planned mod on the burn pot... a home made insert for improved burn at the lowest setting.

Bo

Attachments

• Snevejr i Sydfrankrig - 1.jpg
    Snevejr i Sydfrankrig - 1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Snevejr i Sydfrankrig - 2.jpg
    Snevejr i Sydfrankrig - 2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 430
Stovensen said:
......We have the coldest winter in 14 years........

Can't be true....Al Gore says you're really very warm........you must be hallucinating.

imacman said:
Stovensen said:
......We have the coldest winter in 14 years........

Can't be true....Al Gore says you're really very warm........you must be hallucinating.

LOL! As for global warming... hmmm Al Gore should be loving pellet stoves just as much as we do here. ( CO2 neutral, low emission ). Perhaps he owns one himself. If he doesn't it should be a piece of cake to persuade him in to buying a couple of pellet stoves. Al are you there?

Bo

Interesting to hear about pellet stoves in northern Europe. With weather getting more unstable world wide (heavy snows in Europe, long drought in Australia), it's a nice alternative heat source.

In the short term, I am looking forward to spring over the next few weeks. :)

Gone to overnight burning only as of Monday. Might reconsider that and shut down soon. Like Xena, have a full tank of oil and 250 gal left on the minimum pre-buy from last summer.

I'll be burning the bag that is in the stove and then I'm done for this year... I'll clean the stove up, put the fake logs in for the summer and sit on the 21 bags I have left...

Break out the swim suit!!!

Stovensen said:
Winter still has a firm grip on Europe. Two days ago they had a very rare heavy snow fall way down in Southern France and Northern Spain. I've found a couple of pics from the mediterranean coast of France taken two days ago.

Up here in Northern Europe it's still very cold. We have the coldest winter in 14 years. Although we're in the beginning of march, two days ago we had a very cold night... - 19.1 °C ( - 2.4 °F ), so my Whitfield pellet stove is still working overtime.

I hope it gets warmer soon, so I can make the planned mod on the burn pot... a home made insert for improved burn at the lowest setting.

Bo

whatcha doing to the burn pot?

and on another note: sorry its so cold over there, but our usual harsh winter weather pattern here in Maine has been excepionally mild. Everyone else has been getting hit with crap weather: Europe has alot this yr, all over our region (Mass, NH, lower south est coast maryland, NY, Penn, D.C., Canada) big snow, cold temps. Central Maine has been in a fairweather sweet spot all winter, and I couldn't be happier. I jUst wanna say to everyone 'round the world who has been taking our usual crap winter weather for us: THANK YOU!

Looks like rest of this month will be burning pellets, coldest winter we had in years. Looks like I will hit the 3 ton mark by end of the month. Had to get another 10 bags today.
Temps low 20's at night 40's day time.

Still burning. It's been upper 20's to low 30's overnight where we are. I have it on low overnight, turn it up so I'm toasty warm drinking my coffee and eating breakfast before work, then shut it down. Last year I shut it down too early and was tempted to fire it back up, but was too lazy to reclean everything. My oil furnace just doesn't heat up the great room like the pellet stove. I am an official wimp as far as cold goes now, and I'm not happy unless it's 70 in the house. When I go more than a few days without using it, then I will stop burning.

I keep mine running 24/7 until mid april. It keeps the damp out and the cold out at night. It's on a thermostat so it just idles most of the time anyway, besides, I have a few bushels of corn left to consume. Around April 1st, I'll switch to all pellets to finish the season. The pellet fly ash pulls the nitric residue from the unit and lessens the over summer corrosion.

Well we had snow nigh before last and last night.

Today was unsettled with heavy showers of rain and snow mix.

High today here at the ranch was only 45F

The last two nights we have been running the new (to us) Whitfield Advantage.

After breakfast I shut the big stove off and start the little Prodigy and let it idle along for the day to keep the chill off.

We can and will likely see quite a bit of rainy cool weather before things really warm up here.

As spring progresses it will get to where we only need a spot fire in the morning to take the chill off.

For now its still fire season here.

Snowy

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Looks like rest of this month will be burning pellets...
Temps low 20's at night 40's day time.

Haha, wowee! Colder there than here in Eastern MA!

Heck we have winter until June here in Central PA ...lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It may snow on Easter ..that is not uncommon..one yr. I took the boys campin for the first day of trout season ..wich is usually round the 18th of April ..well it was a decent sunny 50's day the day we went, we woke to go fishin with 3" of snow on the tent !!!
NEVER COUNT OUT CRAPPY WEATHER HERE!
LOL

I'll probably be burning at least into April. Here in VT right now it's 45* outside and has been at least that warm all week. At night though it has been getting into the mid to lower 20's, great Sugaring weather but still cold enough to need the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.