Too warm here now, how about your neck o the woods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jack56 said:
Plenty of more pellets to be burned this year, off and on.

Oh don't get me wrong I still need some heat here and there but that's the thing,
I only run my stove when it's cold enough out to run it 24/7 without roasting me out of here.
Have to burn up some oil anyway to make room in the tank.

The addition of my programmable thermostat is really helping this time of year when the stove only needs to run on and off to maintain a comfortable house.
30s and 40s at night so not cold really but cold enough for a little heat periodically.
I have 30 some bags left and likely won't use those all up unless mother nature pulls a fast one on us!

Snowy Rivers said:
Well we had snow nigh before last and last night.

Today was unsettled with heavy showers of rain and snow mix.

High today here at the ranch was only 45F

The last two nights we have been running the new (to us) Whitfield Advantage.

After breakfast I shut the big stove off and start the little Prodigy and let it idle along for the day to keep the chill off.

We can and will likely see quite a bit of rainy cool weather before things really warm up here.

As spring progresses it will get to where we only need a spot fire in the morning to take the chill off.

For now its still fire season here.

Snowy

I have to agree. Living just north of Snowy in Western Washington, the temps have been in the high 40's and 50's during the day and drop into the 30's at night. Still lots of snow falling in the Olympic and Cascade Mountain ranges with cold rain in the foothills. Although this has been a very warm winter for us due to the El Nino weather pattern, we won't see a real warming trend until mid April. I would expect that I will need to heat in the evenings only begining late April through mid May. I have just finished my 3rd ton of pellets and working into my 4th. I have been heating the entire home with my EXL. Its been learning experiance for me this year. When the temps are like they are now, I am comfortable with the stove on the 2 setting 24/7. If it drops into the 30's, I bump it up to the 3 setting, and setting 4 for the days/nights it hits the 20's. On the other hand, when we get hit the occasional teen temperatures, I will set the t-stat on the propane stove to 68 to make up the difference. The wood stove has been run only for pellet stove cleaning and maintenance. Having been a slave to the wood pile for years, it has been a welcome relief switching over to pellets. By comparision, it took me 2 Saturdays to pack 6 tons of pellets into the basement 6 bags at a time with a wheel barrow. By now I would have burnt about 7 cords of wood. At best, I could process one cord per day by myself (cutting, splitting, hauling, piling). Not to mention packing it down the basement and cleaning up the mess. However, having a stockpile of wood is an ace in the hole should pellet prices soar or availability wane. Sorry for the rant, just reveling for having taken the chance switching over. I think I made the right choice.

Paul V.

summit said:
Stovensen said:
I hope it gets warmer soon, so I can make the planned mod on the burn pot... a home made insert for improved burn at the lowest setting.

Bo

whatcha doing to the burn pot?

summit, well it was discussed in the thread linked below some days ago. A user here in this forum Snowy Rivers came up with some good ideas that should be fairly easy to make.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53762/

Snowy burns hazelnut shells in his pellet stoves and has modified the burn pot on his Advantage II for optimal burn of this special fuel. Description and pic here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/53846/

Bo

Stovensen said:
Snowy burns hazelnut shells in his pellet stoves and has modified the burn pot on his Advantage II for optimal burn of this special fuel.
Bo
snowy is a her.

no pane said:
Stovensen said:
Snowy burns hazelnut shells in his pellet stoves and has modified the burn pot on his Advantage II for optimal burn of this special fuel.
Bo
snowy is a her.

:kiss: Ohh, I see :red: LOL! Well, that certainly doesn't make it less impressive what she is making all by herself and shares with us here.

I really didn't realize it until now, so I hope Snowy will forgive me ;-)

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.