Too warm in the woods today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Our big Winter Storm last night amounted to 1.5 inches of snow! Today the temperature has been hovering right around the freezing mark and I'm not used to it being this warm! Was sweating rivers in the woods.

My deer audience watching me.
IMG_0263%20(800x600).jpg

One of the regulars.
IMG_0264%20(800x600).jpg

The new snow makes it look pretty though!
IMG_0285%20(800x600).jpg

Another snowy picture.
IMG_0287%20(800x600).jpg

Cuttin' a little wood.
IMG_0289%20(800x600).jpg

More snowiness.
IMG_0293%20(800x600).jpg

Splittin' a little wood.
IMG_0297%20(800x600).jpg

And headin' for home to dry off while posting on Hearth.com!
IMG_0302%20(800x600).jpg

gotta dress in layers! Lately we have finally gotten the Canadian cold air here..actually may become one of the coldest Decembers on record for us. Was spliting&stacking; the other day and no sweat at all...not the story a month ago though! As usual, nice pics!

In my neck of the woods you would be in a t-shirt. Our average temps lately have been in the 50*'s.....

Snow up in the high country but down here in the burbs we are actually watering our shrubs.....almost unheard of at this time of year.

Love your pictures - especially the one of the deer looking right at you.

Thanks for posting them.

WOW. That's an awesome set of pictures.Looks like a series of postcards.No big stands of pines around here.Just quite a bit of Eastern Red Cedar scattered in among the hardwoods,of varying size & quality.In NE IA there's a fair amount of native white pine,along with the cedars though.

Good pictures quads.

I too was doing a lot of sweating out there yesterday. Had the Carhartts unzipped for sure. No thaw yet but close. Supposed to be warm today and tomorrow yet too. We did get a little covering of snow overnight I see. Still dark out there but can tell things are fresh white.

It is amazing that Colorado has been so warm. Some of that warmth might move in for us soon but not quite to the 50 degree level. I expect more temperatures in the 30's though and we'll have to watch out for ice storms.

I was stripped down to just my overalls and was still warm. I'm used to the zero and below we've been having. A little cooler today, but won't have time for cutting, will be cleaning chimney and refilling my porch with firewood.

HA, yes, they get get pretty close to me. The adult does usually don't come closer than 50-75 feet, the bucks maybe 200, but the fawns in the Spring sometimes walk right up to me while I'm running the saw even! Sometimes the little buggers scare the heck out of me when I look up from the tree I am bucking and find myself staring into a pair of fawn eyes!

We don't have a lot of large stands of pines anymore, since most of the jackpine is gone. Some of the white pine grows pretty thick, and of course the red pine plantations, but what we have the most of is oak. The cherry trees grow like weeds (much of the small 'brush' you see in my pictures is cherry) but they rarely get big enough to make firewood.

Speaking of ice-storms Dennis, we got some heavy freezing drizzle last night. Listening to the police scanner there are a lot of cars in the ditch, some upside down!

is that a "new" sled dont remember seeing it before
or is that just how it looks from behind
great pics as usual
have fun and be safe

quads, I'm predicting more ice this year and not much snow. If so, there will be lots of folks parking their cars in ditches, right side up and wrong side up.

We cut more wood today and had sunshine but it was colder than yesterday but maybe that is because we were in the shade most of the time. Also we did not get started very early at all.

Jags said:
Quads - you get to where you can pet that thing yet? :)

Heck, I hear he's working on getting them tame enough so he can start hitching them up to his sleigh . . . and putting the ol' quad to pasture. ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
Quads - you get to where you can pet that thing yet? :)

Heck, I hear he's working on getting them tame enough so he can start hitching them up to his sleigh . . . and putting the ol' quad to pasture. ;) :)
My beard is certainly starting to look the part!

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, I'm predicting more ice this year and not much snow. If so, there will be lots of folks parking their cars in ditches, right side up and wrong side up.

We cut more wood today and had sunshine but it was colder than yesterday but maybe that is because we were in the shade most of the time. Also we did not get started very early at all.
My total snowfall so far this season is 25 inches. Snow-cover is about 1 foot right now. This was the second time this winter that we've had any freezing rain/drizzle. (I always measure our snowfall etc. and keep a record of it, weird huh?)

I thought twice before opening the thread for fear of seeing Quads in his shorts! Nice pics as always.

Flatbedford said:
I thought twice before opening the thread for fear of seeing Quads in his shorts! Nice pics as always.
HAHA! Almost! It was slightly cooler today, but still warm, around 27°F.

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

My total snowfall so far this season is 25 inches. Snow-cover is about 1 foot right now. This was the second time this winter that we've had any freezing rain/drizzle. (I always measure our snowfall etc. and keep a record of it, weird huh?)

Well, if you are weird doing that, I must be worse than you! I keep a record the year around.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well, if you are weird doing that, I must be worse than you! I keep a record the year around.
HAHA! Yes, I do to. I have for many many years. Also, I have a weather station on the roof of the house which used to be hooked to my computer. But since buying a new computer I can no longer hook it up. That used to make neat graphs of the temperature etc. Now I have gone back to the old way of just noting the extremes of temperature and wind in my precipitation records.

quads, maybe this is just a thing with old farmers?

It could be!

Status
Not open for further replies.