Took a day off from work today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck on your production.

Want to hear a status report.....suppose to be hot here today in New England.

I'll be downing trees and bucking tomorrow....suppose to be a little cooler and mostly cloudy. I'm sure I'll still sweat my ass off though.

I'm often surprised when I hear how much wood some folks here process in a day.

I'm on vacation all next week and aside from a couple day trips with the DW, it's yahhd work and wood processing during the day. When I tell people at work that's what I want to do they tell me I'm crazy.

]My response: "If I said I was gardening- would you say it was worthwhile"
Them: "Oh ya- that sounds like fun!"
Me: "OK then I'm gardening- shut the hell up"

People don't get it. Let us know how you do.

yeah, I would love to do that and truthfully, I am considering it bigtime!

Heh, I had last week off and that's what I did. Cut a lot, split a lot....and i'm still stackin'. I'm pretty concerned though. I got a much later start than I usually do and even though most of my wood is relatively low moisture to start...we really have not been getting good weather for drying wood. Cloud and rain with a couple of sunny days. This just may force my hand on my Hillbilly kiln idear i've been thinking about.

Was going to take the day off to make up some ground for reserves for this year and for next as I have made a few nice scores via the interweb postings, message boards and stuff - most of which within 10 miles of the house. Who woulds thunk it? I think i am lined up to pick up about 5 cords of ash and maple this weekend.

Status report as of 10:42AM:

Got a heck of a lot split, working both with the splitter and a maul. The maul is faster for the smaller ones that split easily, and that trick with the old tire on your chopping block is great! What a back saver!! The splitter is working great for the large and tough pieces. I've split some pretty huge rounds with it so far.. well over 100lbs. Ok, have to go move the splitter to another location, drink some water, and I should be able to pretty much finish splitting by lunch. Woo Hoo!

Sounds like you're crankin' right along then.....good man! Those ice cold beers will taste that much better then once you're done.

Side note: Would love to see a pic of that Hillbilly kiln if it ever gets built.

Tfin said:
Side note: Would love to see a pic of that Hillbilly kiln if it ever gets built.

It'll get built....but you'll only see pics if it works ;-)

woodconvert said:
Tfin said:

It'll get built....but you'll only see pics if it works ;-)

Completely understandable. :coolsmile:

My fellow co workers thought I was crazy for taking today off to split wood! I am glad to hear I am not the only one! Just stacking today, then the honey do list will begin! Hoping to get 3 cords, before she gets home with the list!

12:12PM: Lunch break. Sure enough, I finished splitting at noon. I'll probably finish lunch and take a nap, then pick up stacking afterward.

This splitter makes such easy, short work of elm. It's great.

Scary thing is this is probably less than a quarter of the wood I bought. The rest is still coming. Wow.

Adios Pantalones said:
I laughed kuzz I thought he said "hillbilly killin"- like he was going to off some hick and take his wood

"Hillbilly killin....off some hick....." LOL! Yeah that gives it a different tone. :lol:

I'd saddle up and get me some anthricite and a new stove before I snared some guys wood.

I believe it was a simple misunderstanding, that was ment to be a joke. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm with ya. Heh, I thought I misspelled kiln.

Not to hijack this thread....but to those of you "out east", why don't you all burn anthricite instead of wood?. Is it a cost thing?

I think there's many that do......probably not as much as wood though. A buddy of mine that lived on Monhegan Island (off the coast of ME) burnt it with excellent results. When I was a kid we had a wood/coal hot air furnace....and man, when that coal took hold, hold on!

To stay on topic......a bad day chopping wood is always better than a good day in the office.

Damn right. I'm having an OK day in the office, and I go on vacation right after I leave... thinking about spreading mulch, splitting wood...

There are lots of mines in WV, PA, etc. Coal is plentiful there. Up here I don't see much coal burning as of late.

One of our customers at work I talked with burned coal in their VC. I don't remember where they said they got it though. I like wood.

2:48PM: OK, no nap for me and I got back to work a bit earlier. It's getting pretty warm out there, and man it's muggy, especially with this long sleeve shirt I'm wearing. Clouds keep coming in and knocking down the sunshine which is helpful. Any rain we get today will be a welcome relief. I had to ditch the gloves because it was just too hot for them.

Ah well. I've got about 1/4 of it stacked. I just keep picturing the Long Trail Double Bagger I have waiting for me tonight after I'm done and the kiddo's in bed.

Mmmm sweet Long Trail.

cmonSTART said:
Mmmm sweet Long Trail.

You are in NH - You should have pledged allegiance to Smuttynose! The Long Trail line is good enough but...

Found some more Big A IPA from Smutty that will be lining my belly this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.