took the plunge just spent 3K for a new harmon magnum coal stoker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lime4x4

Nov 18, 2005
Northeast Pa
Got tired of playing with the old efel hand fired job every couple of hours...lol

I was going to ask what happened to the effel? You know they were quality stoves. But I hear what you are saying.
At least you have the chimney vent issues resolved. Good luck and keep us posted please note the your experiences.
Can it also burn wood? Coal in my area used to be popular, but as all secondary stoves for heat declined, with lower fuel cost they disapeared. Now coal distrobution is an issue here in New England and costly.

nah, it's coal only elk

Attachments

• magnumstoker.jpg
    magnumstoker.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 360
It strictly rice coal.. I'm still gonna keep the efel as back up for when the power goes out..Just got to order another ss liner since my chimney is a 2 flue i'll install another liner in the other flue. Coal isn't a problem here in northeast pa..I live about 20 min from one of the main anthracite mines..

Might I remind you coal burning requires cleanning you chimney (flues) in the spring. You have to get that sulfur out before the warm humid weather so it does not condensate and create H2/S04 and eat away your liner

elkimmeg said:
Might I remind you coal burning requires cleanning you chimney (flues) in the spring. You have to get that sulfur out before the warm humid weather so it does not condensate and create H2/S04 and eat away your liner
How do you clean sulfur from a chimney? It's not like creosote, is it? Can you just brush it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.