tools/ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
I had to return my single wall pipe to woodstock as my install will now require double wall stove pipe so I figured I'll get the bucket and tools that I should have gotten right away :red: Is the 156 dollar price tag for the hearth tools completly out of line and ridiculous or is it just me? $156 for a $4 whisk broom, a piece of re-bar (poker), and a 4"x2" plate with grooves cut in one side tacked anothe piece of re-bar to the end(rake)? I can see the ash can, but the tools? Are they really worth THAT MUCH? Just curious if anyone has the "premium" tools that woodstock offers and if they are actually worth it, or I should just make my own. Man, I'm a cheepskate :lol:

Well, they do look nice, and are sized for woodstoves.
But, for myself I am not spending that kinda dough (yet) - I have a poker the former resident left here, and I bought a 3$ little ash shovel at home depot, and a set of welding gloves ($15) and small galvanized lidded trash can ($14) at Lowes. I am pretty good to go so far but would really like to find a little ash rake maybe. I'll be checking out garage sales and trying to find a washtub to put a couple logs and these tools in. Presumably the stuff you get from Woodstock will look a lot nicer than my cobbled together junk though!

After looking at all sorts of sites with all manner of tool sets I've decided that nobody makes the sort of practical tools I'm looking for. And I have no intention of parting with that sort of money for something I don't want! I've decided to speak with a local blacksmith and give him my "specs" and see if he can't fashion something that's more practical than the crap I've seen for sale out there. I want a rake for coals that is actually a rake, not just a flat piece of metal, and I don't want a poker. Instead, I want something that looks more like an "L" with a shortened, flattened crook that's about 2-3" long. And I want a rack that can be mounted to the side of the chimney to hold the tools along with the fork that came with my Classic. I'd rather pay someone skilled and local to make what I want than pay too much money for crap designed to "look pretty" on the hearth but doesn't really get the job done easily and effectively.

I love the ash pan with legs and the hinged lid Woodstock sells, though, well worth the money. The ash shovel I use cost under $4 at the local hardware store and works like a dream; same design they've made for 100 yrs. I bet!

Chadwylde, your new stuff will look spiffy!

But Bobbin you kinda crack me up because we women are supposed to be the ones who insist on the good looking tools but you and I are apparently too cheap to do it! If you do come up with some good specs especially for the rake, please share them here - because I actually do have easy access to fairly inexpensive blacksmiths in this town. One guy will make anything I want but I am not sure really what I want! I bet we have the same 3$ shovel.

Yeah, I'll probably build my own tools, but the bucket seems to be a must have with this stove so I will get that. I would post pics of my demo and install, but I can't really do much cause I have a broken bone in my hand with a rod in it!! So far though I had friends (through my direction) rip out an unused chase and decorative half wall, and frame out the chimney support kit in the cieling. The whole thing is going rith where the computer and the chase you see in the pic is. The chase is from an old p.o.s. heatilator in the basement which obviosly will not e used anymore. And since the chase and computer is gone (replaced with laptop and wireless network) the area actually will seem a lot bigger with a nice focal point. The open area is 30' wide by 24' deep. Hopefully I can heal and finish this project soon enough to hve at least one fire, but you can't rush someting if you want it done right.

Attachments

• DSC00278.jpg
    DSC00278.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 203
Aw heck you have a great looking stove coming and the nice tools will be icing on the cake.
Sorry about your hand and good luck with the install!

Chadwylde said:
or I should just make my own. Man, I'm a cheepskate :lol:

I retired our tools in favor of a small hoe and coal shovel out of the garage. When I build the new hearth, it will have a closet for the broom and the hoe. The coal shovel stays in the garage except for its moment of glory every week or two.

The ash can is well worth it. As for the tools, all we have ever needed is a poker, an ash shovel, a whisk broom and a small dust pan to sweep bark or dirt into. Most of those fancy tools are for show rather than for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.