1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Top 10 pellet brands

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by lecomte38, Mar 5, 2013.

1. skibumm100

skibumm100 Member

Loc:
    southern NH
    I just visited my buddy in Littleton, CO. He heats his house with (2) pellet inserts. I drove by a pellet mill in Kremmling, CO that makes their pellets from beetle kill pine. Guess what my buddy got at Wal Mart....PENNINGTON'S. FWIW, he said he hates them. All those good western pellets and he get's Pennington's....sheesh.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Try western Washington.
  3. DneprDave

DneprDave Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western WA
    That's right, Olympia Washington to be exact.
    It's funny that the birthplace of the pellet stove doesn't have the variety of pellets that there is in the east.

What's wva?

Dave
  4. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    West Virginia?
  5. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena

You pioneers do it,... we perfect it! LOL
  6. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    Apparently i need glasses. lol
  7. pelletdude

pelletdude Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Conn
    If you live in Eastern Ct stop by Long Pond - Hot Tub Fireplace LaCrete in Stock.And they do burn very HOT.
  8. bugize

bugize Member

Loc:
    Skowhegan,Maine
    Well,I might as well chime in, the ones I have tried are,
    Cubex
    Spruce pointe
    Northeast ( ashland me.)
    Mwp blend
    Mwp softies
    Lecrete
    Geneva ( makers of maine choice),
    Independence
    The Cubex i tried was 3 yrs ago...7 bags....seemed good, this winter i went to Rocky's in Augusta to buy more,he was out,so i picked up 25 bags of Lecretes...i like them very well.
    Northeast is a 80-20 blend that burns good,clean...average amount of ash...250 per ton.
    Mwp blend...209 per ton...decent heat...dirty though,and makes my insert very dirty,very fast.
    Geneva's...suppose to be better than Maine choice so they charge 250 per ton....these burn ok,very ashy and dirty....not worth the money in my opinion...i would rather pay a cheaper price for the Mwp blend and get the same results.
    Independence...240 per ton last year,again...burnt ok...alot of fines..
    Sprucepointes...I know this will cause some arguments but...in my opinion,these are way over rated and over priced...alot of fines...more ash than i think a 300 per ton pellet should have...if you are going to spend this much money on a pellet...Lecrete is a better choice by far, I tried the Pointes last year and this year....and will not buy them again!
    The Mwp softs can be had in this area for 250-260 per ton...burn very well....and my Accentra insert stays the cleanest,the longest with these pellets than any other that i have tried...in fact i even talked to Scott Bubier...the guy in charge of marketing for the Linkletters,and told him so....had a great talk with him on a Saturday morning.
    I do like to try different brands....i hope to try Okies at some point...and some others...but for what info i have so far,you cant beat the mwp softies for price,heat and cleanliness.
    Most pellets make me empty my little ash pan once per week,with these...i can go 2 weeks.
    The only problem is....they only do a limited run on the softies....then go back to the blend, they say the profit margin is alot higher on the blend.
    pinetop12 likes this.
  9. lecomte38

lecomte38 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Buying season. Thought I'd bump this up again. This summer I bought 4 tons of Barefoots for 265 / ton delivered.
  10. chico

chico Member

Loc:
    Onterio Canada
    Yes I agree 100% on that sticky !!!!!!!
  11. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    LaCretes, Northern, Vermont's, Lg, Logics, Firesides.
  12. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I switched to softies this season, never going back to hardwood:):):):):):):)
    Hoot23, stayfitz and pelletdude like this.
  13. stillersnut

stillersnut Member

Loc:
    south central pa.
    Wish I could get softwoods in Pa. Only softwood I've tried were Rocky Mtns. Cant find them anymore. My top pellets are 1.Hammers
    2.Pennwood
    3.Sets
    4.Turmans
    5.Rocky Mtns.
    6. Wood Pellet Co.
    7. Greene Team/Greene Golds
    8.Ligs(Hardwoods)
    9.Stove Chow (last years batch)
    10. AWF(from 3 yrs ago)
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  14. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    I entered a sample of penningtons for longest pellet last season,still have some for soaking up spills in garage. The Santa Fe feed system was totally out of sorts with them.
  15. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Does anyone in NY (preferably in or near Orange County) carry Country Boy White Lightning?
  16. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    Allegheny's burn quite nice for me, but I'm, not sure how far out of PA they reach.
  17. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    member imacman found some for my testing in NY state. I really liked them. But I have never seen them in CT.
  18. Cleetussnow

Cleetussnow Member

Loc:
    Westchester, ny
    Its not that close, but yorktown heights, fireglow distributors carries them. I will be using that as my cold weather pellet.
  19. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Would love to try them based on all the great reviews above, just need to find some closer.
  20. stayfitz

stayfitz Member

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    I love lists... But this only reflects an "Eastern" perspective on pellet products/brands :)

Out "West" it's a different story
    Branson4720 and jtakeman like this.
  21. stayfitz

stayfitz Member

Loc:
    Reno, NV
    Funny...! I've never seen a hardwood pellet out here
  22. slls

slls Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine Lat 45
    X1
  23. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    Bingo ! personally i thought they were meh at best . lots of ash , mediocre heat . GT's beat them by a mile and stove chow's by 3/4's of a mile .
  24. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Don't hear much complaints from Spruce Pointe's. Thanks for sharing. Many don't share the bad news. But even the bad should be passed on...........

How do you like the Hearthsides?
  25. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    those were early last season . i'd bought a few bags of everything in my area . i was wowed at first but then bought a bunch and was less than wowed as things got colder , but not bad . i could swear that those first few bags i bought were way different than the next batch i bought elsewhere .

also it was my first season and wanted to try everything available .

ash and heat middle of the road . actually there's some in my hopper right now because that's all that my local HD and Lowe's has . yes both of them ! will probably snag a few more to get me through these warm months .

gotta go up to our camp in maine and pull the docks so i'm planning on grabbing a ton of vermonts at this place on the way . pushing it in my half ton for 100 + miles :)

ps my sig hasn't been updated since last december :)

thing is , is that in my area there just isn't much choice .
    jtakeman likes this.