1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Top 10 pellet brands

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by lecomte38, Mar 5, 2013.

1. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    I went through 2 skids (1.2 tons per skid) of La Cretes last year. Loved the pellet, dislike the dealer, and HATE the bag! The bags are flimsy and you would poke holes in them when carrying them in.
    pelletdude likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    One brand I think I'm the only one left on the planet that haven't tried them is Stove Chow. I'm going to pick up 10-20 bags this year I think although I've already got 2 ton Barefoot and 2 ton Allegheny's. I hear good and bad.
  3. Utilitrack

Utilitrack Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central ME
    Agreed on the bag thickness or thinness!! Great pellet though!
    pelletdude likes this.
  4. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria Member

Loc:
    New Hampster
    Newbie here..

I went through this thread, and found no mention of the LG Granules?
    Is it because people don't like them, or haven't used them?
    I ask, because I live close to a dealer, and that is what I got to try in my new shop stove..
    He also has the Maximums, and super premiums....

Thanks.... Dan
  5. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    I liked the Lg's. The Lg Supers aren't worth the money IMO. I'm gonna run out of pellets by the end of February, I'm gonna get the 25 bags of the Maximums to try out. My brother-in-law is burning them now and he likes them.
  6. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Look here
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/lg-super-primium.118264/#post-1610760
  7. dlavigne7324

dlavigne7324 Member

I burned them last year not impressed
  8. Tonyray

Tonyray Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Stove Chows from HD are actually a good underated pellet... ashy, but burn very very hot....

my dealer gave me ton of Energex Premium hardwoods free when I got my Harman...
    the Energex were great... but, I just bought a ton few weeks ago, and the pellets are almost half as long as before..
    they also burn lot faster..[short size I imagine].... have a ton of those and Stove Chows in the basement and right now,
    I'm leaning towards the chows more...burn longer and hotter......chows 239.00 ton.. Energex 259.00 ton. go figure...
    harman P61A..
  9. pinetop12

pinetop12 Member

Loc:
    Androscoggin County , Maine
    Agree with just about everything opinion you stated ,except rating MWP sofies over the Lacretes.. The MWP seem to burn clean as you say but cannot match the Lacretes in heat .
    Hoot23 likes this.
  10. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I use the LG Granules regular softies and they put out decent heat and below average ash. Good pellet for the money.
    Hoot23 likes this.
  11. Central NH

Central NH New Member

I cannot say there is one great pellet. They are all wood and wood by nature is never the same out of a different tree. I buy 4 pallets a year and usually there is always a crap pallet. Maybe not all 50 bags but it is what it is ..........wood. I do have an opinion on cheap lowes, home depot and wal mart pellets I have never had good luck with them. This year I am using MWP first ton was very little ash a lot of heat and little cleaning this second ton (16 bags into it) is awful a lot of ash in burn pot. The next ton will prob be fine. I have had good and bad luck with most of the top 10 list. Goto the lumber yard and pick up 20 2x4's are they all the same quality? Why not? ..................its wood!
    Hoot23 likes this.
  12. Danny9909

Danny9909 Member

Loc:
    Southern,Ma
    No heartland ?