Top 3 tips learned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tip number 1......Rethink the tip idea. Bhaadabing!!!!!!

1 frank lives in a bunker and thinks we all should.

2 webmaster craig is so far left of center that he makes the kennedys look conservative.

3 mo gets the shaft everytime he buys wood.

Webmaster said:
Warren said:
I have more than 3.

4. Interesting code things like: You can't legally install a non-epa approved stove these days

Well, you have to relearn this one....in most of the US you can install used non-epa stoves.

Now, Elk claims that non-UL stoves (safety tested) cannot be legally installed. While I surely cannot speak for Mass, my opinion is that NFPA and other codes address these under their "generic" clearances and that the installatiion of non-listed stoves is probably "legal" in many areas....

"legal" may be the wrong word, but I would say that many inspectors, insurance companies and other such entities would allow antique and other non-listed stoves installed as long as they were in good condition.

I'll have to ask my code-writing friends about this when I have a chance (many people in our industry are on the committees that write NFPA and IBC, etc.)

I agree with you. The 49 other states and DC are not bound by Mass. or it's inspectors. Common sense is the building code in effect in most of the USA.

As I remember correctly 49 states voted to re elect Nixon one did not which one proved right? MA.
I enforce code to insure the safest possible situations that's my job. It would not make any difference what state I live in
Where did permitting Ul listed stoves enter this thread? All permitted appliances must be listed and labled per code
That's not the code in just MA But taken from the International Mechanical codes based in 43 states, the rest still refference it as their model code but revise it to suit their state needs. Ma did not make up that code ITS federal. Only 7 or 8 states require EPA compliant stoves. Existing permitted unlisted stoves are grandfathered for only use in the existing location. They can not be installed in another location if un labled or un listed. You who are do not want to adhere to codes, do have a choice elect officials that share your views Don't like what is wrtten, submit a code revision for review anybody can do it. The tax payers in my town can have me removed providing they can present just cause.

Ahhh the internet. So many grains of salt for info to be taken with. Well, I'd say that one got confused. Seems to me though that Elk is on target here. I suspect the Re-installs would not be passed with a non-approved stove. But since I didn't try, who knows.

[quote author="elkimmeg" date="1138180536"]As I remember correctly 49 states voted to re elect Nixon one did not which one proved right? MA.

Ugh, Elk, cant let THIS one go!.....MA resident here, and try as I might, Ted Kennedy gets elected still...why? only cuz hes a Kennedy! Highest and most creative overall taxes in the nation as well.......businesses leaving the Commonwealth in record numbers......highest auto insurance......im not sure MA does anything right. I tend to lean towards the other 49 who were right. ugh....politics!

Status
Not open for further replies.