Top bottom wood burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello Guys, at the suggestions from several of you I have tries over two days to start the top bottom wood burning with little success. Is it possible that since I have the CFM-FW240007 (which is a little stove) that I
do not have a big enough box to do it correctly.

Don't know. Tell us how you are doing it?

On the bottom of the stove I am putting 3 inches logs then 2 inches logs and the I fill the rest with kindlings of wood and 5 sheets of newspaper with a knots on them.

You didn't stuff your stove with wool again did you? Just want to eliminate any surprises trying to diagnose.

Do you have lots of little (pencil sized) kindling on top? Done anything to prime your chimney?

Also if you don't have the room you think you need, reduce size of your bottom logs. Even in our small qudrafire I have room. Here's my way. Whenever it doesn't work it is lack of abundant small kindling. image.jpg

my starts look almost exactly like colophoto's. We do have the "advantage" of burning pine... it's super easy to build a top-down with pine.

OP - try to make yours look like the above... logs of air and lots of small pieces on top.

Been doing them pretty similar to colophoto for seven years and they just work. Stuff on top kick starts the draft and the smoke coming up through the burning kindling burns smoke free. I don't use the paper bows anymore. Just a couple of chunks of Super Cedar.

Everybody that complains it doesn't work always says "I do it just like that except...". Don't "except".

Reactions: Christopix
I guess my problem is not enough small pieces. Will try that tommorow. Thanks Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.