Top covering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John S

Sep 16, 2014
Southern Maine
Like most everybody we've always just thrown a tarp over the top of the pile and put up with puddles, leaks, blowing off, ice and so on. But this year, having ripped out the old ZC fireplace and installed the new Alderlea we thought it time to get more serious and organized with the stacks. I had some 1x3 strapping sitting around so made up the first stack "roof" 13.5' long, 4' wide. Later ones are 4.5' wide to give better overhang on the sides.

They use up most of a bundle of strapping - around $20 each. After the usual head scratching on the first one they take around 2 hours to build. They're light enough that I can move them around by myself, keep rain and junk off and allow great ventilation.

The stack in front of the shed was an experiment - oak cut in Feb, split and stacked end of April. When stacked was in the high 30s moisture. Best sun and breeze area on our property. I moved the stack last week and random measurements showed 20-22%. Pretty amazing for 4 and a half months.
woodcover2.jpg woodcover3.jpg woodcover4.jpg woodcover5.jpg woodcover6.jpg

Nice storage , that oak had to of been standing dead, Which every situation there is different. Cause there is no way a live oak will dry that much in 4 1/2 months

Great idea! I've not seen anything like that yet. I may have to try that with my stacks next year

What'd you use for roofing?

Also, are you worried about snow and ice up there? We don't get much down here so I'm sure they'd be fine but I wonder how they'll fair in Maine

That's an awesome system. Looks fantastic. I can't help but get the vibe that your firewood is at summer camp!!:cool:

For the summer I used regular 4 mil plastic sheeting on that oak test stack in front of the shed. I've since moved that stack and covered it like the others with a tarp. When I took off the plastic it mostly fell apart. After 4 or 5 months sunlight destroyed it. The tarps should last a couple of years and hold up to a winter snow load.

Another benefit - notice the middle stack by the clump of trees - you can just prop up a corner of the frame and use it like a mini wood shed.

I agree that oak shouldn't be as dry as it is - all I can say is it was in the high 30s when stacked and now is low 20s. New splits, probes with the grain, General moisture meter.

Plastic and sun will do the trick. I've done the same. One thing though, your oak was probably more like 75% when you split it. Moisture meter tops out in the 30s.

Like the idea!----------- Also for those that might want to make something like this, look at the Harbor Freight air stapler that shoots 1.5" staples, I got one for $15.00 on sale and it has paid for itself many times. It works great with the 1 x 4 stuff without splitting.

Man you did a great job.

"Taking notes"

Are those just normal general purpose tarps? Trying to figure how you got the edges tucked if so? Looks nice. I HATE PUDDLES on top.

I think the subject line should be changed to "Advanced Top Covering" Great Job !

Now kick back and enjoy your favorite beverage admiring your work.

Yes, just regular tarps - green instead of blue. The edges are stapled around the wood frame. We'll see how they hold up under a snow load. I think they be ok - I've winter covered a lot of boats over the years using the same materials.

That is a beautiful way to season wood, thanks for sharing. I've also noticed your pallets are on mostly gravel and not right on the grass or dirt. I think that is a huge help in the drying process.

Reactions: area_man
Nice covers - good job!

As you use the pile up, won't this roof fall onto your head?

Looks really good. I made a REALLY BIG version of your cribs that holds 5.5 cords, i plan on doing something like this next year. i was thinking of the clear corrugated roofing from home depot, still would get some light on the top of the stacks while staying dry.....

Thought I'd give a update about how these covers survive now that we've had a little snow and wind. So far, so good. I think I have enough wood for this year in the shed but if I get desperate I can pull from these stacks. Pictures taken this morning.

Attachments

• 2515a.jpg
    2515a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2515b.jpg
    2515b.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 2515c.jpg
    2515c.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 2515d.jpg
    2515d.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 173
Looking good. Keep you eyes out for some rubber roofing... that would work great on top and lasts forever.

Wow what a great idea, looks awesome

I like the concept too, it's portable a most likely light enough for one man to move around. I have an area where this could help a lot. Thanks again for posting

Hey, I don't cover my wood till the September of the year that it's going to burn, BUT, if your going to cover your wood, that's definitely the way to go..... Great work.........

For the summer I used regular 4 mil plastic sheeting on that oak test stack in front of the shed. I've since moved that stack and covered it like the others with a tarp. When I took off the plastic it mostly fell apart. After 4 or 5 months sunlight destroyed it. The tarps should last a couple of years and hold up to a winter snow load.
The important factor of longevity for any top covering material is what sort of UV resistance is fabricated into the product. If you are going to use clear plastic outside it should be the type of plastic they us for covering greenhouses, not the stuff designed for indoor use as a vapor barrier in houses which has virtually no UV resistance in it at all. The same goes for tarps, most of those cheap tarps have very little, if any, UV resistance designed into them and consequently don't last much more then a year in the sun.
The other factor is protecting the material from wind damage. Any material that is allowed to flap around in the wind will not last as long as material that is not allowed to flap in the wind. I have seen quality tarps completely destroyed in less that a day when loosely draped over load of stuff on the back of a truck and allowed to flap in the wind. In that regard the way you have them secured on your portable roof systems look like the wind should not effect them much.
As for the material you are using, if they are quality tarps you might get a few years out of them, but if they are just those cheap tarps you still might only get one season out of them, depending on how much sun they see.
Personally I'd go check out my local building supply stores and talk to the guys in the lumber yard and find out what they are doing with the old lumber wrap material after they peel it off the lifts of lumber they sell in the yard. That material can usually be gotten for free, and generally has a great UV resistant rating built into it. Nothing last forever, but if you can get something for free it doesn't sting so much when you have to replace it.
Used rubber roofing material is good too, but I've never found it as readily available as lumber wrap material.
wrapped.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakeside
Sweet! You should type us up the plans!

Status
Not open for further replies.