Q&A Top damper or bottom damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a 30 year old brick fire place. The damper recently broke. A company came out and inspected it and recommended a top locking damper. The original damper was down the throat above the fire box. Which is the better damper? I do get a foul smell after a rain fall with the damper open. If the damper is at the top, Wouldn't the moisture come through the bricks and smell as well? Please help on this issue. I have spent all day on the web trying to find out which is better and everyone is advertising top locks, not bottom.

Answer:

Kenny, we have always had good luck with the top-sealing models. Some of them even have a built-in cap, which helps the chimney stay dry. They do seal tighter than the bottom ones..and I don't know of any retrofit bottom ones anyway.

If you can easily fix the existing...fine - if not, a top sealing would be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.