Top Five Wood Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonprophet

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2009
Oregon
I know that this is a tough question to answer because there are so many variables.........but if you were to put together a list of the "ten best wood stoves" what makes/models would be on your list? Given that heating capacity is relative to individual need and doesn't really reflect upon the quality of the stove, I guess I'd use the following criteria to rate stoves:

1. Initial cost
2. Cost of maintenance over lifetime of stove (durability, cost and availability of replacement parts, ease of repair, etc)
3. Ease of use (i.e lights easily, "set it and forget it" or constant monitoring? CAT, non-cat, ash drawer, etc)
4. Looks/Aesthetics

Thanks!

NP

Wet1 said:
Anything with a Magic Heat.

And made by Blaze King. :lol:

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of pairing the two!!! Think I could get flue temps under 100° F?

Not sure I could limit myself to five. Let's see.

Top catalytic: Blaze King King, Blaze King Princess, Woodstock Fireview
Top soapstone: Woodstock Fireview
Top cast iron: Pacific Energy Alderlea series, Jotul F500 Oslo
Top plate steel: Pacific Energy Summit, Pacific Energy Spectrum, Lopi Liberty
Best bang for the buck: Englander 30NC

I'm just basing these on what I've read here. And I didn't even get into the inserts, as I don't read much about them. I'm sure others will correct any errors. :lol:

Top catalytic: Sierra 4700TEC insert
Top soapstone: Hearthstone Equinox
Top cast iron: Jotul F600 Firelight
Top plate steel: Englander 30-NC, of course.

There ain't no number 5. :coolsmirk:

I bought my hampton over the jotul for heat output...For an insert its got to be up there...

Top castiron clad steel stove - Alderlea T5/T6. :)

1. Woodstock
2. Blaze king
3. Jotul
4. Travis Industries
5. Pacific Energy

Vogelzang boxwood or 55gal drum kit didn't make the list I see... :-(

drdoct said:

Don't knock the 55 gallon drum stoves. The one I had would out heat any stove anybody on the Forum has. Mine included. And no creosote. Sucker burned so hot and fast that there was nothing in that chimney but shiny clean flue tiles.

Of course 100 pounds of oak lasted about two hours and you could read from the glow on the side of the barrel. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
drdoct said:

Don't knock the 55 gallon drum stoves. The one I had would out heat any stove anybody on the Forum has. Mine included. And no creosote. Sucker burned so hot and fast that there was nothing in that chimney but shiny clean flue tiles.

Of course 100 pounds of oak lasted about two hours and you could read from the glow on the side of the barrel. :ahhh:

I swear mine would hold about a cord at a time. Run your butt out of the county for about 2 hours then you needed another cord of wood, swear it put off more heat than a nuclear explosion.

I just thought of the perfect place for a Magic Heat BB. In between the barrels on a two barrel stove set up, you woldn't even need the little rod as it would just light off as needed :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
drdoct said:

I'll take that Pepsi Challenge.

Bigg_Redd said:
BrotherBart said:
drdoct said:

First you go find a barrel...

Nonprophet, you will get lots of opinions; some agreeing and come disagreeing. So I will only speak for the Woodstock stoves:

1. Average to high initial cost.
2. Maintenance cost - low to medium.
3. Ease of use - extremely easy to use:
* So easy a child (or wife) can operate
* Easy to maintain (cleaning the cat or glass) Again a child (or wife) can do easily and very quickly (a couple minutes).
4. Looks/Aesthetics: What more can be said other than it is one of the most beautiful stoves made.

Above is what you asked. Below is what I will add to your list:

1. Extremely clean burning: In two winters use we have yet to clean our chimney because it does not need it. Of course this means you also have to burn good dry wood.

2. You don't have to burn the stove on high to get heat or to burn off creosote. When reloading the stove, all stoves will be set with the draft open until the fire gets going good. Then the draft should be partially closed. On the Fireview, after 10-15 minutes you almost close the draft (usually from .25-.75 on a 1-4 scale) and also move a lever which opens the cat. Then you can forget the stove for hours and hours while enjoying a very wonderful feeling heat. Not a harsh heat as you would get from a cast or steel stove.

3. You will have a beautiful piece of furniture with this stove. It will be the centerpiece of the room with its beauty.

4. I saved the best for last. With our stove, we burn only half the amount of wood we used to burn and stay much warmer.

btw, we do heat 100% with the Fireview.

BrotherBart said:
Bigg_Redd said:
BrotherBart said:
drdoct said:

First you go find a barrel...

I've got a plate steel wood burning furnace. It's got a barrel stove shape but bigger, heavier, and plumbed to heat water.

Sorry you asked yet? ;-)
What the 5 best stoves are depends on a lot of factors. To me, having a solid reliable dealer is the most important factor; then what he sells will help you define which stove would be the "best".

RI Swamp Yankee said:
Sorry you asked yet? ;-)
What the 5 best stoves are depends on a lot of factors. To me, having a solid reliable dealer is the most important factor; then what he sells will help you define which stove would be the "best".

Funny, I'm the total opposite. I don't believe that the dealer means diddly squat. That might be a generational thing but I do consider the manufacturer to be of key importance. The good manufacturers will do what a good dealer should do and more. Heck, the stoves I would consider have essentially no dealer support.

Woodstock and blaze King.

Highbeam said:
RI Swamp Yankee said:
Sorry you asked yet? ;-)

Funny, I'm the total opposite. I don't believe that the dealer means diddly squat. That might be a generational thing but I do consider the manufacturer to be of key importance. The good manufacturers will do what a good dealer should do and more. Heck, the stoves I would consider have essentially no dealer support.

Well, if a manufacturer will deal directly with the customer, then I'd agree. In cases (such as with Quads) where the manufacturer simply will not deal with anyone but an authorized dealer I'd still suggest it's a pretty important consideration unless you're 100% confident the stove is bombproof.

RI Swamp Yankee said:
Highbeam said:
RI Swamp Yankee said:
Sorry you asked yet? ;-)

Well, if a manufacturer will deal directly with the customer, then I'd agree. In cases (such as with Quads) where the manufacturer simply will not deal with anyone but an authorized dealer I'd still suggest it's a pretty important consideration unless you're 100% confident the stove is bombproof.

we do!!!!! hint hint ;-P

I had a stove made from a compressor tank. Poorly. I think it fit all your criteria.

Wet1 said:
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of pairing the two!!! Think I could get flue temps under 100° F?

I heard that on the Blaze King, a Magic Heat becomes an air conditioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.