Top loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I have never used a top loader or a side loader. Seems to me side loading would be easier. What's everyones take on top loaders? The reason I ask is while the stove is real hot trying to drop the logs in could be a little dangerous.

Nope. Not on VC Resolute Acclaim anyway. Open the bypass and the hot gasses head out the chimney. You still get some radiant heat if you have a large bed of coals, but the same is true loading fron the front.

I'm guessing that I use the front door to load 3-4 times a week during cold weather, almost always when I'm restarting the stove after it is out, or very few coals remain. That way I don't have to reach way down deep and get soot or fly ash on my arm as easily.

All the rest of the loading is done from the top heating 2,000 square feet. Do be sure to get enough stove. I was a little suprized that I could heat the whole place with the Accaim alone. The Encore would had given me a little more burn time per load.

I really like top loading.

ATB,
Mike P

Some advantages of top loading
Ashes and glowing embers never spill out all top loaders have Andirons to protect the glass and to prevent accidental breakage and loggs from rolling out even if opening the front door.

Your hand loading the stove are further away from the hot coal bed I also believe one can pack the fire box better and get more splits in. the door or griddle top makes an excellent place for cooking and water humidifier / steamer. This is some of the advantages

You can certainly fit more wood into a stove when you can pack it in from the top.

Personally, I am too anal-retentive about putting wood in the stove to simply drop one in from the top. I like to carefully place pieces, so top loading kinda drives me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.