Top of Greenwood extremely hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steaming Pile

Nov 13, 2008
Northern PA
I fired up my piece of junk GW 100 today and the top of it got so hot it melted a brush that was laying on it into a black gooey mess. Anyone ever have a similar problem? I think I may have scraped away some insulation while cleaning it even though I thought I was being careful. This thing is honestly the worst investment I've ever made.

Still smokin, that is unfourtunate. My top does get warm but never enough to melt something. I even set my beer on top while I am reloading the firebox. If you did scrape away to much insulation that could be the issue. Are you sure you were not going into a boilover/overheat situation. What kind of water temps did you have at the time?

91220da, It never went over 200 deg. One area was still hot to the touch at 3:00pm when i went out to start tearing it apart. This was after the fire was out for about 8 hrs. Looks like I will be disassembling the plumbing to get the top off and get a better look. Anyone have a good source for the insulation thats used in a GW? I found some part#'s for McMaster Carr in an old post but is there any other place I can get this stuff? Thanks in advance for the help! SS

I had that problem with the first top I put on. At the end of the season the insulation had become saturated with creosote. It was sagging a little from the hangers I installed, and I believe that allowed the creosote to gather there. The gap between the insulation and the skin was smoldering so hot It melted the galvanized coating. I remade the top skin out of 3/16", and doubled up on the insulation pins...and also ran mechanics wire in between the pins so it absolutely could not sag. Haven't had a problem since. Check out this thread... lost of info here........THREAD

Jesse, Where can I get the insulation pins and how do they attach? I assume they need to be welded on wich is not a problem. Thanks SS

I recently had mine apart for maintance and to try some upgrades. I used a Roxul Insulation from a local lumber/hardware store. For the pins I used a regular nail and welded it to the skin and some thin metal as a washer to hold it up. I may work or may not but again thats what I have done. Never had the top get hot at the most it barely got warm last year.Good luck

Still Smokin’ said:
Jesse, Where can I get the insulation pins and how do they attach? I assume they need to be welded on wich is not a problem. Thanks SS

I just used 3" bolts with fender washers ....welded the nuts to the skin.....laid the insulation on and ran the bolts thru

'

Attachments

• 0904101127-00.jpg
    0904101127-00.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 0904101147-00.jpg
    0904101147-00.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 267
Thanks for the help and the pics guys. Will pull the GW apart tomorrow to get a better look. Ordered some 2" Kaowool from ebay for a pretty good price hopefully it shows up soon.

Well I pulled the top off the the GW this afternoon the insulation looked fine. Now I'm a little baffled I think maybe the creosote on the insulation or between it and the top skin possibly caught fire and caused the top to get so hot??? Whatever.... I'm firing it back up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.