Top of Hearthstone Heritage looks like shifted sidewalk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Triacon

Oct 8, 2012
I went to look at a 16 year old soapstone stove and noticed that the left and right stones were slightly higher at the extreme corners along the front of the stove. And the middle stone was also not level.

Overall, I like the stove, so my question is: can I remove the stones and reset them in furnace cement?
How do I safely remove them.

here are some photo's of what I am describing. Note the stone edge compared to the cast iron frame that the stones rest in...

Also note the cracks in two of the back stones. Should I be concerned about the cracks. What is a ballpark cost of the materials to replace the 2 stones on the back...

Attachments

• 20130827_193245.jpg
    20130827_193245.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20130827_193255.jpg
    20130827_193255.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 20130827_193403.jpg
    20130827_193403.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 20130827_193407.jpg
    20130827_193407.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 135
Hmm, not good. My concern is that the support structure is warping. If so, the stones are not going to set right no matter what you do.

What do I look for, to see if the support structure has changed? Can this inspection be done without dismantling things...?

I would start with a straight edge on the cast iron. It looks like over-fire damage.

I don't know the stove well enough to tell you that. I've never rebuilt one. Warping might be apparent by looking up from the inside, above the baffle.

I did not have a straight edge with me, but I did site along the castiron top/front. it appeared straight. a straight edge would be better though. not much room up inside, even with a bright flashlight.

wish I could find replacement parts for my current stove. Waterford erin (e). need a secondary combustion box. lehmans can not get the exact one. inner back plate, they have. I could make a pattern if I had a good part to work from, or drawings.
but I kinda gave up on this plan...

All stones can be replaced. The top ones are much easier than the side ones. To replace those side ones you really have to tear the stove down to almost the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.