Top plate to flex liner connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I have been using my insert for 3.5 yrs. with learning from this forum, I realize that many folks fill the gap between the top plate and the liner itself with high temp silicone. My installer did not do this. When weather allows this is something I can easily remedy. Installer had put in a chimney double flue cap that covers the entire chimney top (and the two liners of course that are contained in this masonry chimney) Just wondering if with that set up any weather that may have found its way in the cap would have likely caused any problems. Things seem to be working well with operation of the insert. Thanks.

Do you mean the small gap between the liner and the top plate clamp? That does not get silicone. Silicone goes between the chimney top (or tile liner tops) and the bottom of the top plate.

Reactions: Dustin