1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Top Ten "Favorite" Hearth Necessities...

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by martel, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martel

martel Member

mmmm, OD... not so off topic by the looks of things! and actually if you are in the DC area you may be able to get, if i recall correctly, wild goose outmeal stout- its from MD. we used to be able to get it here but they stopped distributing to Western PA. It is almost as good as Samuel Smith's but half the price!
    http://www.mylifeisbeer.com/beer/bottles/bottledetail/622/

beer can always be in topic in my book.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tutu_sue

tutu_sue New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    1. Pilgrim raised hearth tool set no. 1029 - compact for woodstoves includes poker, coal rake, shovel and broom. I use the broom ALL THE TIME!!
    2. Metal dustpan - sweeping into the shovel doesn't cut it, takes forever
    3. Steel, hinged ash carrier with handle. My ashpan fits right inside the door so less dust. I empty every 2 weeks or so
    4. Long fireplace matches. The trigger lighters always go out and don't relight when i really need it to. Stocked up at 99 cents a box at Home Depot on sale
    5. Fatwood firestarter - two of these and some newspaper and you're good to go
    6. Chimgard Stovetop Thermometer - more accurate than my other brand and can use on single wall stovepipe too
    7. Leather closed end wood carrier. It's tough. Got mine on sale at Crate and Barrel of all places
    8. Pilgrim 24" log hoop - holds 1.5 to 2 days worth of wood and easy to set up (unfold, snap retainer, done!) small footprint
    9. Cast Iron Steamer - mine's a cat with trivet
    10. Woodburner's gloves
    11. Ecofan - works by stove heat. Expensive but really cool and will amaze your friends. Helps keep warm air from staying up on the ceiling, I keep on a trivet as it can break over 650F

Two more I have decided I can't burn without:
    Cast iron apple cookers - core a couple of apples, sprinkle cinnamon, brown sugar, whatever, put on stove and 45 mins later - dessert!!
    HEPA air filter - wasn't using it anywhere else, so I put to good use to clear some smoke or ash dust out of the air

Some of the places I got my stuff: www.lehmans.com, www.hartshearth.com, www.cabelas.com, www.northlineexpress.com, www.jwright.com
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Ha Ha,

Did you know I hold the patent on that product? (I don't make any money on it though, because I sold the rights)!

I, along with the people at Pennsylvania Firebacks, created and produced the first couple thousand before selling to Condar.
  4. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

Wow its a small world! That is a good idea you came up with . I have the black one. It was just what I was looking for. It compliments my stove well.
  5. Martin Strand III

Martin Strand III New Member

Loc:
    NW MI near nowhere
    And don't forget

Tweezers
    Antibiotic ointment
    Band-aids

for the wood slivers and occasional skin burn you'll get.

Aye,
    Marty
  6. martel

martel Member

My regency I2400 will be in about 2 weeks (hmm, I guess that may mean by April)... Today I hauled about a quarter cord unsplit. I live in the city, so I hauled the wood from the street to the back of my house. I realized an essential non-hearth piece of equipment: wheelbarrow... newbie error. But, my idealistic anticipation kept me going. My path from the street to the yard passed by my NG boiler exhaust vent. Every time I passed I got more excited as I saw the steam pour out. I kept thinking, "enjoy it now you b%#$@*d your days are numbered!!!"
  7. Martin Strand III

Martin Strand III New Member

Loc:
    NW MI near nowhere
    Oh yes.

Also, don't forget to upgrade your Homeowner's Insurance Policy covering your fire breather.

Aye,
    Marty

Grandma used to say, "If you play with fire, you're gonna get burned."
  8. martel

martel Member

Interestingly, I called my Insurance Carrier and they told me that if it was an insert there would be no increase in the policy. I have State Farm. I think I will send them copies of all my paperwork to be certain they have it on file. I would hate to have them deny a claim even though "they told me..."
  9. paulgp602

paulgp602 Member

I was told the same from mine, Liberty Mutual. They needed the invoice faxed to them that had the use of a SS liner listed on it, thats all no increase.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.