Top vs Side Temp Reading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssoucy

Jan 20, 2015
Connecticut
Finally got a IR Therm for Soapstone stove. I always thought the side panels felt hotter than the top. My theory was proven true with the IR. My conceern is that the top is reading about 490 and sides 611. Recommended top end temp is 600 stove top. I am assuming that the max temp would be for the sides as well? But, I would think that the manufacturer would take into consideration that the top should be cooler than sides due to the baffles etc. Is that taken into account and I should continue going by top temp for my max? If I get the top up to 600 as is normal, I am assuming the sides would be well over that and I risk cracking the stones???

I believe the concern is with the cast support structure warping. Not so much with the stones cracking at 600 STT. I can not remember the last time I checked my side temps to tell you if my mansfield is like that as well.
Are you running a blower?

Not running a blower. There seems to be one side stone that gets much hotter than the rest.

Actually, one stone on each side.

ignorance_is_bliss____by_start_static.jpg
sometimes this is true...

when it is 400something on top and just over 600 side I am not too worried. If the top is getting upwards of 600 and the sides get to 700something I would start to worry a bit. But I have to think MOST avg stove burners are just sticking the stove top therm on and going with that and not checking with an IR and the company would be getting lots of damaged stoves if it was an issue... Right?

I think your fine. Enjoy that rock!

If you are really concerned give them a call. They either know about this or will be interested to find it out. What can you lose?

I probably will check with them but people here usually are much quicker to respond and saddly more helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.