Torn between 2 splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bezalel

Nov 19, 2005
I need to buy an electric log splitter. Wish I could buy that Iron Horse 6 Ton but no way I can get it here in California, especially at the price KWBURN got it at. I can't even get the Ryobi splitter at the local Home Depot. It's not a popular item in California!

I'm thinking of 2 options: (1) the refurbished 4 Ton Ryobi from ToolKing for $268 including shipping, or (2) the following 7 Ton PowerHouse unit from Ebay for $420 including shipping.

7 ton PowerHouse Splitter

The extra 3 Ton will probably be handy, but it's an extra $150 and I can't find a review on this unit anywhere!

Any thoughts?

(and I thought I'd save money by burning wood :))

I wonder how many amps that 7 ton model draws? I think you would need a pretty heavy cord/circuit. Might reduce your flexability on where you can use it. However, if you have the power/circuit close by(I imagine 20 amp), then it looks pretty good. I agree, a review or two would be nice.

I think the safe bet would be the Ryobi. Besides, probably easier to store, and not as much cash layed out, so if you decide to upgrade later, your not in to deep. I wonder if home depot can order one for you? KD

I don't know if that is some e-bay "creative advertising" or what, but the specs indicate that model has a 1.18" diameter ram which is going to be just a little under 1 square inch in area. So to get 7 tons of force, you need to put 7 tons of pressure on that 1 square inch, which equates to a 14,000 psi hydraulic system. (either that, or they are using some sort of force multiplication like a lever arm). I have not seen one of these electric splitters up close.

All else being equal, a lower ram force system will have higher cycle speeds. But to truely compare, you would need the electric motor specs, ram size, and hydraulic pump displacement of both units.

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
I don't know if that is some e-bay "creative advertising" or what, but the specs indicate that model has a 1.18" diameter ram which is going to be just a little under 1 square inch in area. So to get 7 tons of force, you need to put 7 tons of pressure on that 1 square inch, which equates to a 14,000 psi hydraulic system. (either that, or they are using some sort of force multiplication like a lever arm). I have not seen one of these electric splitters up close.

All else being equal, a lower ram force system will have higher cycle speeds. But to truely compare, you would need the electric motor specs, ram size, and hydraulic pump displacement of both units.

Corey

Well I would bet that that thing does not have a ram on it but a cylinder, they are not the same thing. A cylinder has a piston on a rod and can be powered out and in and the force is the area of the piston X the pressure. A ram has just a rod coming out of a tube, there may be some kind of guide on the rod inside the tube but it will not have seals on it, the rod can only be pushed out there must be some springs or gravity to push the rod back into the cylinder, the force is the area of the rod X the pressure.
I bet that splitter has a cylinder with a 1.18" rod and the rest is a case of confusion caused be the dilution of very specific engineering language by marketing types who just don't have a clue.

Note that in the case of the difference between a ram and a cylinder the dilution into meaninglessness started a long time ago.

Forget Omega splits the guy owing the company is a crook. His way of paying return is to damage so you can collect from the insurance of the shipping company

The other 7 ton splitter I contacted this seller 3 times back about 6 months and he never took the time to respond. I wanted to demo his splitter and asked parts questions
Had he answered and it proved to be as claimed, he would have sold quite a few of them. I don't know his return policy because he never replied That was the first question I asked

I mean 3 more tons over the ryobi, I really wanted to see the difference

You know what you are getting with the Ryobi. You don't know about these other no-name splitters.

with a receit a 90 day money back garantee HD with the Ryobi

the design of the one on ebay looks similar to the iron horse. tough to say though.
his feedback is a bit questionable with some recent negs.
i did find a few feedbacks in his history for this exact item which were mixed. most were good but there was this one:
first one received damaged, the second one almost burnt down my garage! SHAME!
i wonder if the one that almost burned down his garage was due to poor wiring to the splitter?
who knows. you can probably email that buyer and ask.

by the way he was selling the same one in August for $259 with the same shipping cost.

Thanks all for opinions.

The Ryobi does not qualify for free shipping so Home Depot charges $72 for shipping, plus $299 for the splitter and then tax.

ToolKing sells it for $259 plus $8 shipping, no tax. It's a refurbished unit. Harder to return than at Home Depot.

And this guy at Ebay ... I asked a question and he hasn't replied either. 7 Ton capability is attractive, but considering his unwillingness to communicate (Elk's experience also), who wants to do business with him? On the negative feedback, he blamed UPS. But if he charges $90 for shipping, you'd think he takes some responsibility for it!

I'll call the local Home Depot. May be they'll ship it (free) to the local store for me to pick up.

I bought a little 4 ton electric splitter from Harbor Freight for $239 at the store. I think it's comparable to the other similar splitters. It has a tube frame like the Ryobi and unlike some of the others. I think the tube frame gives it a little more protection and lets you move it easily with a hand truck. I've had it up to an observed 12 amps.

Bez,

I have the Ryobi and find every aspect of it well designed and solidly assembled. I think you have a good chance of getting a good product if you get the refurbished one. I don't see a lot of moving parts and suspect any repairs were easy to make.

I'm surprised HD would not order you one from another store. It is pretty common for retailers to do that. They should be able to find one in the system and have it sent to them for you to pick up locally.

It sound like the electric log splitter work well. Will they spilt 20" dia? I would never have given them a 2nd thought
but for under 300$ they could work well for me.

I have split a fair amount of wood with my Harbor Freight unit the last couple of days. I was splitting green hemlock (the tree was standing dead for several months). It was surprising what it did split. On the other hand it never seemed to be a sure thing when there were branches (knots) involved. I would say it was roughly on par with my mauling capability (8lb, not fantasically strong). For a sure thing, I think you need a gas splitter.

The ryobi splitter has a 12" round capacity ans 20" long. your not goint to split oak 24" round with 4 tons

Even my 16 ton capacity is either 20 or 24" and at that size those suckers are heavy

I have been spilting with a maul and a shedgehammer. I don't see spending a bunch of cash for a spilter. I was thinking about getting a few cords togather cut and ready to go then rent a gas spilter. I have a lot big knotty logs, the next tree to join the woodpile is a big dead standing oak.

Around here it's a hundred bucks a day to rent one.
Big advantage of electric splitter is that it can be used inside if necessary.

johnsopi said:
I have been spilting with a maul and a shedgehammer. I don't see spending a bunch of cash for a spilter. I was thinking about getting a few cords togather cut and ready to go then rent a gas spilter. I have a lot big knotty logs, the next tree to join the woodpile is a big dead standing oak.

Dad and I used to do all the splitting by hand and use a chainsaw to help on the knots and crotches and just let the elm rot in the woods.

One day Dads at an auction and there sits this homemade splitter with no engine. It is fairly well built and he gets it for $75 and since the auction is closer to my place then his he drops it off in my yard. I have an old worn out 5HP engine on an even more worn out snow blower so I make a few spacer blocks (the original builder had the splitter set up for a snowmobile engine) and get the engine mounted up. It has been sitting for years since it was last used so I take an angle grinder and remove the rust from the slide and put on some grease. Top up the oil tank and start it up, the pusher is rusted in place and will not move, also the engine is a bit small for the size of the pump and the engine stalls before the relief pops but it starts easy, I give the pusher a few love taps with the 8lb. maul and it moves. Grind off the rust that was under the pusher and put on more grease.
Now it seems to be working, kinda, not real smooth must be some air in the system, so dry stroke it for a few minutes and it looks better, still a little low on power. Start tweaking the governor on the engine and get it up around 4500 to 5000 RPM, if she blows I didn't pay anything for the engine. Cycles much faster now, that thing must have really moved with the snowmobile engine on it.

I split a few small blocks and it looks good but I don't have anything to give it a good test so load it on the trailer and Saturday make a run to Dads place.
Now Dad had a pile of red oak blocks and some other stuff mostly knots and stuff that would not split easy, so we start in on that.

Engine dies a few times on the tougher blocks but I soon develop the reflexes to pull back before the engine stalls and let it build some rev's so I can bounce it off the flywheel a few times and get her to go thru.

About 2 hours later we had finished up what would have taken at least 2 days with the saws and mauls, and we look at each other and at the same time say.
"Why did we not do this 15 years ago".

$75.00 one junk engine and about 3 hours to get it working, I should maybe change the oil in it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.