Tornados...what are they good for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Well some of you may have seen on the news that NC was hit by a historic number of tornados last weekend. Wilson was included in that. The tornado hit a ver comercial area of town and caused a lot of damage but thankfully no injuries or deaths have been reported. www.wilsontimes.com has some photos of the damage if intrested.

I was able however to get two truck loads of wood out of it. I could (and hopefully will) be able to get more, I just didnt really feel like it was right to ask when the tree is laying on some ones house...

One load was of oak, and the other maple. I have no idea what kinds and included pics of both w/ leaves. leaves are very young and wilted but better than nothing fo id.

The stack in the background of the pic is roughly 5ft tall to give the pile persepctive.

Attachments

• IMG-20110420-00001.jpg
    IMG-20110420-00001.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG-20110420-00002.jpg
    IMG-20110420-00002.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG-20110420-00004.jpg
    IMG-20110420-00004.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 385
Some variety of maple. I would guess silver, but check local listings for common species.

+1 for Silver Maple. Soft but I take all I can get ; )

We just had a bad storm come through last night - all I could think of was how much wood I may get out of it. :D Saw 2 large trees down within 1 mile of my house - blown over from the roots. I'll be stopping by some houses pretty soon.

I'm not contesting the id's of silver maple 'cause I'm definitely a rank newbie and still trying to learn my tree id's but...I thought silver maple leaves had kind of more elongated "swept back" points. ???

Ed

Looks like plain old soft maple to me.

I have another post about maple I Ds looked it up there are only 114 farietys I decided to just burn mine in my wood stove, would be nice to know what we got.

Have a Nice mDay

Intheswamp said:
I'm not contesting the id's of silver maple 'cause I'm definitely a rank newbie and still trying to learn my tree id's but...I thought silver maple leaves had kind of more elongated "swept back" points. ???

Ed
+1. The leaf does not look like what I have on my silvers.

That leaf isn't Red Maple because it has five main lobes, and doesn't look right for Silver Maple. The wilting of the leaf makes it tough, but I'd guess Sugar or Norway Maple. Also, that appears to be a leaf that isn't fully grown, making it even tougher to ID.

There are about 8 or 9 species of maple in the eastern US (including non-native species), and fewer in the west. Maybe there are 114 species worldwide, but we only see about 8 or 9 at most around here, and only about 5 or 6 are common.

I think in many cases a guy showing up with a chainsaw is a welcome help after a storm, especially if the driveway is blocked or something similar. if I asked but wasn't going to get the wood, I'd cut enough to clear the driveway then move on (in other words, I'd help out, but not buck all the wood to length if I wasn't getting the firewood.)

brianbeech said:
We just had a bad storm come through last night - all I could think of was how much wood I may get out of it. :D Saw 2 large trees down within 1 mile of my house - blown over from the roots. I'll be stopping by some houses pretty soon.
I wasn't at the house, but the wife said it got pretty scary. Some folks I know about 1/2 mi. from here, where I'm going to cut a hung-up Pignut, lost a Pin Oak and a Hard Maple which I'll be getting also.
I saw some uprooted trees here and there, too.
I've got to be careful that I don't become the Cat Lady of biomass. "Man found dead in home; Stacks of wood left him no air to breathe." :lol:
I've got all I can handle, but I keep looking. I think I've spied a couple of Black Locust that look like they may be slated for removal. :coolgrin:

Wood Duck said:
The wilting of the leaf makes it tough, but I'd guess Sugar or Norway Maple. Also, that appears to be a leaf that isn't fully grown, making it even tougher to ID.

The leaf is wilted and wasnt fully grown. It came out of a yard in the city limits, so my guess is it wasnt native. Im still pretty sure it will burn :)

There has been a surprising result of the big storm, the power company is cutting back trees that are rometly near reaching the power lines. If I had more room I would be grabbing all of it! Especially with how the price of oil is going...

Status
Not open for further replies.