Torrefied Wood Question ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2012
Central CT
Hiya, folks! Probably my only post this year. And what a winter it wasn't! Burned through only two cords of wood and half a tank of erl. Some would think this a banner winter ... I don't. Ah well.

Torrefied Wood: This is a fairly new process, well new to me, in which wood is heated in a noncombustible environment to change the wood's natural properties. The result is a more dense product that's insect and element resistant. It also darkens the wood, at least on its surface. It's also produced as biofuel but I know nothing of that. Perty sure it's processed in Maine but mostly this process is practiced in Canada for whatever reason. But I'm not discussing biofuels here. No. Torrefication also has benefits bestowed upon house siding, musical instruments, windows and doors. It's the latter I'm concerned with here.

Here's the deal: We bought a pair of Torrefied® Wood doors ... poplar. I didn't want to pay the factory to finish them so I'm going to sand them and coat them myself. The main reason I wanted these is because we have no overhang for these entry doors and the manufacturer warranties them in this scenario for 20 years. You read right.

Question: Does the torrefication process change the wood color throughout the wood or only its surface? What can I expect after lightly sanding the doors per the manufacturers suggestions? It's a company that doesn't talk directly with customers and the dealer doesn't know offhand. Any takers?

Peakbagger: Thanks. I suspect you're right and the darkness permeates only an eighth inch in.

I have spent some time researching the other variety of terrified wood used for fuel and that is cooked through and through to a much higher level. Most of the cause of the rot of wood is going after the sugars in the wood which are carbonized during "baking" or driven off as gas the lignins give most organisms a hard time trying to digest them (that's why is so hard to turn wood to alcohol in one step). The lignin is like baked tar at room temps, at the pulp mill I worked it would form brown glass stalagmites from drips. I am considering the Cambia wood for siding but haven't looked into the cost yet.

Every time I try and bake my wood...........it burns :ZZZ:cool::cool::cool:

bob

BOB: Lulz.

Peakbagger: Northern NH? Yeah, I've seen Torrefied® siding offered on the northern
side of the border, and MAN it looks sweet! But, having a woodpecker problem here we
went with fibercement. Not my choice, the birds picked it for us. Don't know if Torrefied®
is worth the expense, but one manufacturer warranties is for 60 YEARS. You read right.

So, let us know how it goes should you choose that route. VERY curious.

Thanks.

Them peckers attacked my place awhile back - Dang things are protected species. Used a lot of bug spray in behind the siding- haven't had any new activity for the last couple years.

John: Yes, I know of this, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.