Total frustration with US Stove Co. and floor option

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robertjp

Oct 7, 2008
Western NY
OK so I should of known that my US Stove Co stove APS 1100B was made in China. Whats worse is the company gives me a different answer everytime I ask the same question. Maybe someone here actually knows their stuff since when I called them, they didnt even know what an R value was. Enough said?
OK here is what Im trying to do. I want to make a floor protector to put over a wood floor. What I had planned was 1 sheet of 1/2" Micore 300 (R 1.03), then a .42 inch Hardiebacker (R .20) , then ceramic tile for this small wood stove at my cottage. It would have a total R value of 1.23 plus the tile. The company wont or cant tell me (They change their answer with every person) if that is enough R value. It only says in the manual it should be placed on 1/4" surface. Can anyone help here? Will this work? Thanks in advance.

the manual doesn't give you an R-Value needed?

Are you sure the manual did not say "1/4 inch non combustible surface"? If so it sounds like it just needs ember protection, and has no "R" value requirement.

I do not see anything in the manual for that stove that covers floor protection. Only a diagram with the floor labeled "floor protection." (page 6 & 10)

I just read the manual, too. It looks like you are good with just floor protection or what some call "Ember protection"

Just any old noncombustible material that is the appropriate size and meets/exceeds 1/4" in thickness. You don't see that often with cheaper steel stoves. Kinda nice, actually. I didn't look, but maybe that pedestal is taller than I thought.

Here is exactly how it reads "Place the heater on solid masonary or solid concrete. When the heater is used on a combustible floor, use a floor protector of a non combustible material extending beneath the heater and must measure as figure below." Below that the map say 1/4" floor protector. Thats it, not a word about r value. I went around and around with US Stove on this and got different answers with everyone I talked to. I have all the emails. One person said make it 1.2 R value and stack what you need to get it, another said I needed a 1" air space, another didnt know what r value was, another said 3/8" board. What the heck..... Thanks much you guys are the best.

So my 1/2" micore 300, .42 Hardiebacker and ceramic tile should be ok then?

Don't different towns have code reqirements for floors or do they leave it up to the manufacturer specs?

So my 1/2" micore 300, .42 Hardiebacker and ceramic tile should be ok then?

Don't different towns have code reqirements for floors or do they leave it up to the manufacturer specs?

Usually, at least for insurance purposes, they go by the manual.

You could get by with cement board and tile, which would give you about .29-.3 r value.
Nothing wrong with overdoing it if you have the micore. Perhaps you'll decide to get a 30 in the future.;) The r-value for those is pretty steep.

Local inspectors always have the final say, even if it's more than the manual requires. But they usually go by the manual.
I wonder what the stove co. would say if you asked for a copy of the EPA test report which tested the stove for emissions and clearance requirements?

Funny how everyone here thinks ember protection and also the manual but if you call the company, you get different answers everytime and none are ember protection. Screw it, Im doing what I had planned R1.2. Thanks guys for the responses, much appreciated. Bob

Funny how everyone here thinks ember protection and also the manual but if you call the company, you get different answers everytime and none are ember protection. Screw it, Im doing what I had planned R1.2. Thanks guys for the responses, much appreciated. Bob

While unnecessary for this stove, you won't regret that decision. Chances are you next stove may need R-1.15.

If it were me putting in a new hearth with an R value of 1.2, my next stove would require an R value of 1.25 !!!

The R-1.15 number came from Vermont Castings. I remember that being the value required by the new Encore and Defiant.

Then again, my memory is useless. You might want to double check it.

While unnecessary for this stove, you won't regret that decision. Chances are you next stove may need R-1.15.

We were just the opposite. Next stove was bigger and just requires ember protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.