Total Newb..... Need install !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumaz

Jul 23, 2008
NW CT
OK - So I'm totally new at all this. I bought a Jotul F400 and need it installed. Here's my dilemma..... My furnace is on one chimney in the house. There is another chimney on the other end of the house but it doesn't come through the roof. It stops right at the roof line in the attic. I've had a couple masons out to look at it. One guy told me 3K to finish it out through the roof and cap it and I haven't heard from the other. He also told me the chimney did NOT need a liner where as the other said it did. Is there a law in CT about this or anything? I need some advice as to continue along this road or look into a pre-fab. Obviously money is an issue as well. Can I get into a pre-fab for less? That brings me to my next question.. I'm at a shortage of guys to call for FREE estimates. I've only been able to get the two masons out to the house. Anybody have info on people who do prefabs? I'm in Northwest CT. Thanks for your help...

Howdy Drumaz. I came from that area, Cornwall to be exact. I'd be leary about the old chimney, especially if this is an old house. I would certainly have a liner put in if it is old. CAn you post a shot of the attic termination?

Find out who are the best chimneysweeps in your area and get an estimate for a metal chimney. That may allow you to more ideally locate the stove. For best performance, if at all possible, locate the stove centrally and keep the chimney on the interior of the house, going straight up from the stove.

You might want to call Preston Trading Post in Preston to see if they can recommend installers. 860.886.1484

Great info - thanks for the number for Preston.. Yeah, I just moved out here a couple years ago and LOVE it.

I made 2 more calls this morning. Safeside Chimney in East hartford and Green Mtn Stove out my way. any idea on either of those places?
The house is old.. 1930's

I'll take a shot of the chimney in the attic and post it. It seems the best spot ( I could be wrong) for the stove is going to be in the living room or dining room as the staircase with a ceiling fan at the top is right there.

Any ideas on average cost of a prefab?

Thanks for the reply..

How many story house? Is the attic a stand up one (3d story)?

One option, if the interior masonry chimney is in good shape, might be to use metal class A pipe on the roof and through to the stub of the chimney. Then adapt to a stainless liner down to the stove.

2 story house.. attic isn't really a third floor but you can almost stand up in the middle of it..

BeGreen said:
Howdy Drumaz. I came from that area, Cornwall to be exact.

Cornwall/West Cornwall, and Cornwall Bridge are BEAUTIFUL areas! I am about 20 minutes from there and we are currently working on a job in West Cornwall.

Funny, I have a logger friend that moved from Oregon to Goshen, CT. Almost the opposite of your move.

Yeah, it's my heart home. At times I really miss it. Guess I'll always be a NE Yankee at heart.

Drumaz said:
2 story house.. attic isn't really a third floor but you can almost stand up in the middle of it..

Unless the job is unusually tough, I would guess that you would be able to keep a new metal flue installation below say $1800. Less if the class A to liner option is viable.

Valkyrie Rider said:
How far are you from Litchfield County? I could give you some names if you were near there.

I'm in Litchfield County... Winchester Center

BeGreen said:
Drumaz said:

Unless the job is unusually tough, I would guess that you would be able to keep a new metal flue installation below say $1800. Less if the class A to liner option is viable.

That sounds nice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.