Total tons of pellets used in a year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shop got warm - took a while since it has 100% exterior walls, slab floor, garage door, etc. - But I set the stove on the 2nd highest setting and after a few hours it was north of 60 in there. I always wear a sweatshirt and usually a hat, so I was toasty while I cleaned up a bit and packed some extendaflues.

Yeah, it's a Baby Countryside...

The door can close well, but it's the latch - a manual latch that does not press down on the door. I cut a little block of wood which I jam above the door - forcing it down so that gap pretty much goes away.

Pellets are great for occasional use like this - I won't use more than 30 bags the entire winter! But I certainly would not want to be hauling 6 tons- at that level, I'd go for a central heater and build a Pellet Bin.

Wow what a response to a question. From all of your responses I guess I 'm lucky that I can get by with 3-1/2 tons ,and only paid $679. 00 for them. I only run my stove from November -April no way would I run it in May .I saw an article in the JAMES DULLY column that said he heats his domestic hot water with his pellet stove . Does anyone do this ? And if so how do you do it?

update totrying to heat a house with a teenage "princess" in it....the stove is right here in this room where i am typeing and she walks by me just now....(as a reference it is 73 degrees in this room right now and just on the other side of the wall its 2 degrees outside and wind blowing....IOW,,,its all good here in VT).....yeti hear her say behind me ..."god its FREEZING in here...."

and I turn to look and see she is wearing shorts and a tank top.......

i think I need a short glass of bourbon and then its off too bed.....yes I pity her poor husband one day.....

Just finished the 2nd ton of the year this week. But it has been a mild winter thus far.

Getting cold now. 0*, and not calling for anything higher than 5 or so for the next three days.

This is my first year with the stove, so I don't have any historical data on pellet usage.

Stay warm.

I use 5 - 6 tons per year for a 2700 sf house. 3 floors. 1st is around 70 - 80, 2nd is 10 degrees cooler, 3rd around 15 degrees cooler than 1st.

Hmm, hope Nanuck of the North has the third floor. That's a bit brisk.

One thing we've found very effective at helping with the thermostat setting at night is an electric mattress pad. Works like an electric blanket except it's under you, which works MUCH better - the heat rises and gets trapped under the blankets so you don't need as much cover. Draws about 60 watts on high power, so the actual is less than most light bulbs, and lets us keep the house cooler while still being comfortable in bed. Downside is that it makes it really hard to get up in the morning.

Gooserider

I second that Goose. I have one of those and I have heated with natural gas all my life. The bedroom is 60 and I'm on my stomach soaking up all that heat. It makes you want to sleep all day.

I have a Big E in my store as a running display. The first floor is 1300 sqft and it keeps it around 71 degrees on #3 I go through a bag of pellets a day (Pro Pellet). Eric, Kinsman Stoves, LLC

I used 114 bags last year (rough 2.25 tons) to heat about 1200 square feet of my 2000 square foot cape in Southern Maine. I used a bit of oil to heat the finished basement, and 400 gallons of propane to heat an addition, a remote bedroom, and our hot water. My stove is a Hastings St Croix which maxes out at around 35,000 BTUs. I would say our insulation is probably a little better than average (updated windows etc)

I tracked usage pretty closely in Excel and here is the breakdown of bags used per month. The 5 bags in May was a surprise!

-----------------------------
Oct 6
Nov 11
Dec 15
January 19
February 24
March 23
April 11
May 5
----------------------

This winter I will not use any oil, and plan on dropping my LP usage to a little less than 300 gallons. To help me accomplish this a bought an extra ton of pellets this year, and a Harman P61 for the basement. I also insulated my LP tank style water heater a couple weeks ago (Seems like it is already making a big difference).
So my 2007-2008 plan is to use about 3.5 tons of pellets, and 300 gallons of propane to heat all 2000 square feet and our hot water <fingers crossed>

Status
Not open for further replies.