Totaled my chain saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rustaholic said:
smokinjay said:
There is reasons to have a rope with very strong tinsel strength. If your using to just pull a tree over hi tinsel not needed. But with the 12000lb tinsel strenght your rope can be used for a lot more including pulling logs on the trailer for the mill.

1.) My $5.00 rope would pull any log I have seen. BUT, pulling and loading logs jobs belong to my winch and chains.
2.) I sure hope I cut that quote right so this works. 8>))
3.) I was not trying to talk down to anyone here.
4.) I use a trailer hitch ball tied to a smaller rope to toss around a high branch. Then I use the small rope to pull up my big rope.

lol didnt think you where and 5.00 for a bad @ss rope great...Lots of good uses for a high tinsel rope.

I know you weren't but Danno77 was.

Can ya tell I am a rope maker?
Very seldom will I ever buy a rope.

3/8" rope is six strands of baling twine.

I started make rope when I was running a scout group back in the 1980s with a slapped together machine I built.
Now I mostly use one of my two New Era Rope Machines.
Google New Era Rope Machine

Rustaholic said:

I started make rope when I was running a scout group back in the 1980s with a slapped together machine I built.

very handy indeed do you know about what the tensil strenght would be?

Okay, That worked.
The info there is for Manilla and I am using Sisal.

That link is to a page of the manual that would have come with every New Era rope machine when it was new.

AND, Just look at that,,,
If Sisal is anywhere close to Manilla I am at 12,000 pounds strength with my $5.00 rope.
It is still true that the Sisal baling twine is made from long strands of fibers if you read the rest of that booklet.
The roll I used to make this rope from was an old one that was treated not to rot.
possibly the long strand info I am thinking about is in the other New Era booklet on that site.
There is a 14 page one about WHY you need one of these rope machines.

Rustaholic said:
Okay, That worked.
The info there is for Manilla and I am using Sisal.

That link is to a page of the manual that would have come with every New Era rope machine when it was new.

AND, Just look at that,,,
If Sisal is anywhere close to Manilla I am at 12,000 pounds strength with my $5.00 rope.
It is still true that the Sisal baling twine is made from long strands of fibers if you read the rest of that booklet.
The roll I used to make this rope from was an old one that was treated not to rot.
possibly the long strand info I am thinking about is in the other New Era booklet on that site.
There is a 14 page one about WHY you need one of these rope machines.

Thats Awesome I will give you 25.00 for it? lol great hobby to have will come in handy working with wood thats for sure...

I don't think so,,,,,
Just buy a set of baling twine rolls and drive on up here.
We will make one for you and another one for me in just a short time.
Last time I checked the price it was around $35 for a pair of those rolls.
I am going to check the prices again.
They also make rope from the plastic twine but I like the sisal better.

Rustaholic said:
I don't think so,,,,,
Just buy a set of baling twine rolls and drive on up here.
We will make one for you and another one for me in just a short time.
Last time I checked the price it was around $35 for a pair of those rolls.
I am going to check the prices again.
They also make rope from the plastic twine but I like the sisal better.

I will see if can come up with some of that baling twine

bale twine is good stuff unless it gets wet . I've picked up alot of bales that were a year old and had gotten wet. I hate it when the string breaks. the bale just does a semi-circle and it's never where you want it. If you are going to make your rope from twine take very good care of it and don't trust it with your life. Of course even a new bought'n rope can break. My dad had just gotten a new one and was tieing down a load of hay. He was on top of the load and gave it a tug. rope snapped and down he came. Broke his shoulder joint into a million pieces and bent the arm bone. Had a great Doc and he was back working in about 3 mo's. Come to find out the rope was pieced together from the manufactorer. That was back in 1965. People didn't get lawyers back the. Probably could have retired if he had but he just figured he should have checked it himself. Just check it out before you trust your life with it.
leaddog

leaddog said:
bale twine is good stuff unless it gets wet . I've picked up alot of bales that were a year old and had gotten wet. I hate it when the string breaks. the bale just does a semi-circle and it's never where you want it. If you are going to make your rope from twine take very good care of it and don't trust it with your life. Of course even a new bought'n rope can break. My dad had just gotten a new one and was tieing down a load of hay. He was on top of the load and gave it a tug. rope snapped and down he came. Broke his shoulder joint into a million pieces and bent the arm bone. Had a great Doc and he was back working in about 3 mo's. Come to find out the rope was pieced together from the manufactorer. That was back in 1965. People didn't get lawyers back the. Probably could have retired if he had but he just figured he should have checked it himself. Just check it out before you trust your life with it.
leaddog

your right about not betting your life on rope and I would throw in chain and cable as well....But if I was betting I'd use my bull rope.

Rustaholic said:

Hey, no worries. I wasn't serious. Hope i didn't offend you.

I was just commenting on how your post is like so many we see here. it kinda reads "I don't know what the problem is. You are obviously doing something wrong, and I'm really good at it, just let me tell you!" Most of the frequent hearth posters do the same (myself included). We all learn from each other, and your advice was good and hopefully helpful to the original poster. i didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I'm googling this rope making stuff as we speak. The price seems to be right, and i love to DIY as many things as I can.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. You'll like it here.

leaddog said:
leaddog

I still have and use rope I made from Sisal baling twine 30 years ago.
This big rope was made from an old spool of twine that was probably originally sold in the 1960s.
Maybe it was even older.
I remember mid 1960s bales from the same store were wrapped in paper.
This one was wrapped in burlap.
The feed store it was from closed here in the 1970s so I couldn't ask them.
The twine was treated to resist water damage.
This rope will for sure outlast me.

Usually right after I make a rope I find enough folks to do a tug-a-war with it to tension or SET the rope.
This rope was such a beast that I tied one end to a big Oak tree and the other end to the trailer hitch of my 4WD Ford Aerostar and gave it a good tug.

I am a rope maker.
I KNOW rope.

Rustaholic said:
leaddog said:
leaddog

I still have and use rope I made from Sisal baling twine 30 years ago.
This big rope was made from an old spool of twine that was probably originally sold in the 1960s.
Maybe it was even older.
I remember mid 1960s bales from the same store were wrapped in paper.
This one was wrapped in burlap.
The feed store it was from closed here in the 1970s so I couldn't ask them.
The twine was treated to resist water damage.
This rope will for sure outlast me.

Usually right after I make a rope I find enough folks to do a tug-a-war with it to tension or SET the rope.
This rope was such a beast that I tied one end to a big Oak tree and the other end to the trailer hitch of my 4WD Ford Aerostar and gave it a good tug.

I am a rope maker.
I KNOW rope.

got any pic's this is very interesting?

Do you want a picture of the rope?
I guess I could take one and post it.

I wish I had taken some pictures while we were making this big one.

Rustaholic said:

yes and yes you should have lol

Boy, I've been out for a few days. Thanks for the replys.

To clear up any confusion:
I bought the Poulan because I assumed I would be hard on my first saw.
The saw became stuck in a typical pinch situation and wedging wasn't really possible. I'm a novice and didn't think to remove the power head. Some of you have to realize that coming into wood cutting and burning as a rookie is quite a challenge. No old man to stand around and yell at me for getting ready to do something the wrong way.
The Fiskars all but had me off and running again when I made the miscalculation and hit the guard.
BTW- That Fiskars split a truck load of white oak Sat. It's doing fine.

Troutchaser said:
Boy, I've been out for a few days. Thanks for the replys.

To clear up any confusion:
I bought the Poulan because I assumed I would be hard on my first saw.
The saw became stuck in a typical pinch situation and wedging wasn't really possible. I'm a novice and didn't think to remove the power head. Some of you have to realize that coming into wood cutting and burning as a rookie is quite a challenge. No old man to stand around and yell at me for getting ready to do something the wrong way.
The Fiskars all but had me off and running again when I made the miscalculation and hit the guard.
BTW- That Fiskars split a truck load of white oak Sat. It's doing fine.

no matter how tight the saw is drive a wedge in the crack with a slage hammer if need be it will losing up

smokinjay said:
Rustaholic said:

yes and yes you should have lol

Well,,,,,, I never would have thought to take a picture of us making that rope if this debate hadn't come up.
Several huindred ropes have I made.
This might have been the biggest but it was just another rope.

Smoke the rope, soap on a rope

I know I been gone a while, but. . . .how'd we go from some poor bass turd smashin' hiz own saw (did ya spend as much $ on the pull-on as ya did on the Whiskars?) to bashin peeps that make or can't make their own rope?? :eek:hh:

It's all good :lol:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Smoke the rope, soap on a rope

I know I been gone a while, but. . . .how'd we go from some poor bass turd smashin' hiz own saw (did ya spend as much $ on the pull-on as ya did on the Whiskars?) to bashin peeps that make or can't make their own rope?? :eek:hh:

It's all good :lol:
Got any extra rope you want to sell? :)

Okay I hope this comes through.

Roperesized2.jpg

I made it one day then used it the next day to take down two trees in VERY tight quarters with 15 to 20 people watching.
I still need to whip the ends.
Next rope will be 3/8" X 50'
That one will be used to toss over branches to pull the big rope up.

Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself. Give a magician enough rope and he will cut it up in pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.