Totally new install of Englander NC30 with hearth build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassiclybored

Nov 22, 2015
ohio
So I have wanted to put in a wood burning stove ever since we lost power the first time in our new house during the winter. We have no fireplace or stove so we were just sitting in the cold and dark helplessly. It was rather fraustrating and nerve racking as we live on a slab foundation and our water lines will freeze if not kept warm enough. Luckly for us we were ok that time but I knew something had to be done.

After a little time and some good news occupationaly I was ready to get serious about getting a wood stove installed. I did quiet a bit of research on line and visited a few Stove stores in person and it was a bitjaw dropping what the stores wanted for stove/install. My home is 1800 sq/ft a stove big enough to do most to all of it. I was getting quoted ~$5200 for a stove/install. That was about double where I wanted to be for total cost. After more research I decieded to get an Englander NC30. Seems very reasonably priced and has really good reviews. I ordered the stove from Home Depot for $900 plus $100 for shipping.

Next thing is I needed to build a hearth. The room had carpet in it to begin and concrete slab foundation under it. The NC30 has a pretty high R Value of 1.5 but I was fine with just cutting out the carpet with the concrete under it. We deceided to use a natural assymetircal cut stone tile. It was a little daunting at first because the pattern was a bit hard to decifer. Some of the stones came cracked, we called and complanied and got 10% off. Turned out fine because we cut some and had a lot left over. Spent about $300 on stone/motor/grout.

20151203_193451_zpss47aguc6.jpg

We were able to borrow a very siimple wet saw and sllllooooowwwly cut the stone to fit.
We didn't use any spaces, just kinda eye balled it, but since the stone is already irregular we think it looks pretty good. We stil have to grout it, just layed yesterday and will let set one more day.

20151205_151828_zpsdmkh5bd4.jpg

So as you can see we over cut the carpet by a good bit. That was intentional as we are also planning to install wood laminate to replace the remainder of the carpet. It will be about a month or so that the carpet will stay like this.

On the celing is where I hope to have stove pipe exit house. I have cathedrel ceilings and there is nothing but drywall, roof above that area.

Here are a few pics of house

20151205_152054_zpsnouklpw4.jpg

Pipe will come out of this nearest slant.

20151205_151853_zpskuqerz7z.jpg

The tall center peak is 12' inside of house. I need my chimeny to be 2' over that peak on the outside and my sotve needs atleast 15' of total chimeny size from floor to top. I got 2 different quotes from two different NFI Certified installers. One was from a franchise stove store for $1680 plus tax. The second was from a family owned amish stove store and will be around $1200. The amish guy is coming Wednesday to put my stove in. I can't wait. I am leaving for a week right after but will feel better as we have had an very calm winter so far here in Northeast Ohio this year.

Do these prices seem about right? Most places wouldn't even install a stove for me unless I bought it from their store.

I will udpate thread as progress is made.

Reactions: quotejso
Well the prices are not out of line the price from the amish store is a little lower than i would expect. I will warn you that in our area most of the amish installers are not very good. We end up fixing quite a few of their installs that are down right dangerous. Now just because the few amish guys by us are hacks does not mean your guy will be but the fact that his price is also low would make me watch everything closely

That is a very good looking hearth you built. I just got a Jotul installed in my new log cabin, more difficult than yours because very steep high roof, metal roof, 12 feet of pipe inside and 10 feet outside.
Cost $1200 in labor and $600 in materials, I already had the double wall stainless steel pipe. Rural North Carolina.
Guy did a real good job.

20151203_193451_zpss47aguc6.jpg

Here is the natural stone tile layed out roughing in the hearth.

20151205_151828_zpsdmkh5bd4.jpg

This is after cutting stones and laying in motar before grouting.

20151209_110845_zpsspbsxw0v.jpg

And here is the first fire after the install! It took the installer about 2 hours and lucky my stove/hearth placement was perfect. Went straight up right between the joists! Thankfully my stud finder works well!

Very pleased with how everything came out and can't wait till we get some weather and see how this baby heats my home.

Looks very good.
Thanks! Very Pleased with how everything came out. Looks much better than original plan of placing a hearth pad on the carpet.

The install cost $1050 for parts/labor. Total cost for hearth build and stove/install was just about $2400. Thats less than have then I was quoted by a local stove store.

You are going to love your 30-NC!!!

Ask me how I know:

IMG_20141123_170840804Large_zps0373a242.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.