Tough Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Helping a buddy out yesterday, during the storm we had here a few weeks back he had 2 large trees, one maple and one ash, that had to be taken down after the storm damage. The ash was real "stringy" and wet almost to the level of an Elm. I have not seen ash like that - normally a stern look at a round at it splits itself. Not this tree, sure put up a fight.

I seem to even find silver maple's that can get quite difficult. any pic's?

Once in a while we'll get a few stringy logs but not usually the whole tree. I recall last night when stacking some wood (ash) that I stacked maybe 6 logs that split stringy.

I've got a lot of stringy ones, but they were pretty small, less than 12 inches. They're eab victims, and in a wet creek bottom. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I cut three good size trees in my mil's backyard that were in the 2' range. The grain was very twisted, and was a real pita to split. Definitely not like tall straight woodlot trees.

HittinSteel, there is a huge difference between ash and elm. I highly doubt anyone could mistake one for the other; even a novice.

Ha, around here ash is easily identfied by the bark falling off and all the squiggly worm tracks underneath. Sad.

HittinSteel said:
maybe it is elm?

No, it was an Ash for sure. I admit to being a rookie in tree id but have seen plenty of Ash and elm trees.

jeff_t said:
Ha, around here ash is easily identfied by the bark falling off and all the squiggly worm tracks underneath. Sad.
Backwoods Savage said:
HittinSteel, there is a huge difference between ash and elm. I highly doubt anyone could mistake one for the other; even a novice.
There is no confusing the two if the tree is standing but there are enough similarities for a novice to confuse the two if the tree is already cut up. As for the bark falling off and squiggly lines, I have a lot of dead Elm that fits that description.

One thing for sure... my nose knows the difference between Ash and Elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.