1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tounge and Groove ceiling VERY noisy in wind - getting worse

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jwscarab, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwscarab

jwscarab New Member

Loc:
    SE Indiana
    Hello all, I want to say Thanks in advance for any help. It is definitly apperciated!

My ceiling creaks BAD and it is getting worse. I was wondering if anybody else has had an issue with a similar constructed ceiling?

Construction details as follows:

Heritage Log Home 7 years old - Exposed beam ceiling (4x8xlength) beams going wall to peak maybe 32" on center. Then 1x8 T&G;horizontal on top of beams. Some of the T&G;joints I can tell all stops at the same beam - instead of staggering joints on different beams. Then plastic then 4" insulation panels. Then 2x4's every 24" going up the roof for air venting, then OSB sheeting spaning the 2x4's. I think the sheeting did not have the metal spacer clips used for the small expansion gap. Then felt, then shingles.

OK, I know the T&G;should have been staggered and I know the clips should have been used on the OSB. But these problems are hard to fix now.

Here is my issue. This log home is 7 years old. It never used to make any noises in the roof at all. Now when the wind blows, it creaks like crazy!! All across the roof - sometimes 1 or 2 creaks, sometimes 25 noises at once creaking all over!!

My question is this - what is most likely causing the issue??? If it cant be fixed without tearing off the whole roof, will it be OK to live with it??? I have lived thru very high winds w/o issues, but it does sound like someday the roof is going to come off!!!

Thanks so much!! - Joe

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lass442

lass442 New Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    It almost sounds like you have a coating of ice and/ or frozen snow. When the wind blows, if there's any weight from snow on there, it's shifting the weight and making the ice crack? It's only a hypothesis. I don't know what your weather conditions have been in over the past week or two.
  3. jwscarab

jwscarab New Member

Loc:
    SE Indiana
    No snow or Ice. It does it in milder temps too. I really believe it is wood rubbing against each other - like the roof is overall looser than before. No movement, just maybe the OSB rubbing or the T&G;rubbing a tad???

Thought maybe some other log home owners would have had this issue???
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.