toungue and groove felling ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawneyboy

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2010
NE PA
I have never seen this before... I am wondering if anyone has used this method and what the advantages and disadvantages are.... as well as can it be used on most any species of tree...

http://youtu.be/BLkgWFh9lDs

Just more cuts that can go wrong! (for me anyways)

TreePointer said:
I plan on using it on all the palm trees I need to cut in Pittsburgh.

:lol: +50 Let me know how that works out for you.I have a couple here that need dropped also.Just been putting it off because wasnt sure how to attack them.

If you were trying to get a tree to go the opposite way it was leaning, maybe the tongue would help stabilize it? Too bad they don't explain why they're doing it. Maybe they got bored and wanted to try something different. :lol:
I'd think it would work on other species...

Can't see the video. Won't load.
RealLEE no advantage or disadvantage. Its a method for felling small diameter trees with a wedge so you don't cut your wedge. It's easier to cut your hinge off by mistake using this method if you dont line up your face and back cut. I wouldnt recommend using it with a heavy backlean unless your highly experienced.

Woody Stover said:
If you were trying to get a tree to go the opposite way it was leaning, maybe the tongue would help stabilize it? Too bad they don't explain why they're doing it. Maybe they got bored and wanted to try something different. :lol:
I'd think it would work on other species...

I am not sure if the palm has a specific weakness or tendancy or whatever that would make this the prefered method for dropping them, or if the cell structure (strenght or elasticity) would make this the prefered option for palm but not other species. I just dont get it.

I agree as stated above, just more cuts to screw things up. The only advantage I could see is the tree can only fall 2 directions either forward or back, but then again a properly set hinge does the same thing.

Shawn

Only recommended by very experienced fellers. But very few trees would require such monkeying around anyway.

That palm tree could also be cut down with a utility knife.

The guy said in his comments he never uses it on really big trees. I guess the main advantage is you can pound the wedge and not worry about hitting your chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.