town inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Mass also. I installed a used stove last year and had no problem passing town inspection. They did not ask if the stove was brand new and I did not bring up the subject.
The inspector looked at the stove, read the lable on the back, took a quick look in the attic at the chimney and signed off the permit.

Use the biggest hammer you have with local government bureaucrats. The word "Why?". Drives them nuts and will take them down every time. I know. I was one for three years. They can't say "Because I said so." so they will have to produce documentation that they are correct. Makes'em crazy but if you are nice when you ask there isn't squat they can do but put up or shut up.

And they are fun to watch when they are dancing.

The first rule of dealing with a bureaucrat is that the moment that it becomes as much work for him as he is making it for you things start getting done really fast. :coolgrin:

It sounds like your town is confused. Used stoves are allowed, as long as they have meet the requirements of 780 CMR, 6007 SOLID FUEL-BURNING APPLIANCES (see below).

6007.1 Solid Fuel-fired Appliances, General. Solid
fuel-fired appliances employed for comfort heating
include, but are not limited to, room heaters and
stoves, fireplace inserts, furnaces and boilers;
additionally, the fuel for such appliances includes,
but is not limited to wood and wood pellets, coal
and various other solid fuels such as nut shells and
corn, etc. Solid fuel-burning appliances shall be
tested and listed by approved agencies and
installed, operated and maintained in accordance
with such listing, the manufacturers’ requirements
and otherwise conform to the requirements of
780 CMR 6007
Notes:
1. No solid fuel-burning appliance shall be
installed in Massachusetts unless such
appliance conforms to all applicable
requirements of 780 CMR 6007, including the
testing and listing of all clearances to
combustibles and identification of required
floor protection.
2. In the absence of explicit requirements of
780 CMR 6007, the applicable requirements
of NFPA 211, as listed in Appendix A, shall
apply.
6007.1.1 Listing Standards, Room Heaters,
Stoves and Fireplace Inserts. Room heaters,
stoves and fireplace stoves (inserts), employed
for comfort heating shall be listed and tested to
UL 1482 and/or ANSI/UL 737 as found in
Appendix A and as applicable; all such
appliances shall bear labeling as required in
780 CMR 6007.2 or 6007.3, as applicable.
6007.1.2 Listing Standards, All Pellet Fueled
Solid Fuel-burning Appliances. All pellet solid
fuel-burning appliances sold for use in
Massachusetts shall be tested and listed to
ASTM E 1509 as found in Appendix A and shall
bear such labeling as required in 780 CMR
6007.2 Solid Fuel-burning Appliance Labeling
(Not Central Heating Appliances). Every solid
fuel-burning appliance utilized for comfort heating
shall bear a permanent and legible factory-applied
label supplied to the manufacturer and controlled
by an approved testing agency; such label shall
contain the following information:
1. Manufacturer’s name and trademark;
2. Model and/or identification number of the
appliance;
3. Type(s) of fuel(s) approved;
4. Testing laboratory’s name or trademark and
location;
5. Date tested;
6. Clearances to combustibles:
(a) Above top
(b) From front
(c) From back
(d) From sides
7. Floor protection;
8. National test (listing) standard(s); and
9. Label serial number.

That's why the pitchforks and torches come out whenever someone talks this crap here in Maine. Some of the bigger cities have some Fire Inspectors. They have little to no authority in private, single family residences, and some authority in rentals which grows exponentially as the occupancy grows larger.

We don't want a bunch of foolish laws and rules. "In accordance with manufacturer's instructions." is all that is needed. Nothing more. Darned busybodies can't wait to write another rule or a law. It makes them feel important.

They still say that the stove has to be brand new & can never have been used in its current location or another location prior to the inspection.

Town is Sharon.

Its quite a predicament because if I prove the inspector wrong & make them come out to my home for the inspection I think they will most likely find something else wrong just because they can...maybe not with the stove or at this moment but when i have to get the towns approval for something else.

Find the state code info online and contact a state code rep and ask them about it. Maybe you can work with them to get the local inspector straightened out.

I am trying to do that right now with a gas fireplace situation. They don't want us to install a gas log (decorative) in an outdoor location because its a waste of gas. To prohibit this they are quoting codes that apply to HEATING appliances. Gas logs waste the same amount of gas if they are inside the house or outside the house. Fricking stupidest thing I have ever heard of. Uhg I wish I had had time to call them today, rest of my week is pretty jammed up, uhg.

Status
Not open for further replies.