Toxic smell please help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UK Mark

Jan 11, 2010
United Kingdom, Essex
Hello
First timer here from the UK, thankfully found this site and wondered if I could pick some of your brains regarding a problem I'm currently having.
The problem is I seem to get a very worrying toxic smell and haze from my wood burner, but only once it gets really hot after a few hours or so?
This has happened since I started to get the temperatures right up with a full load once the fire has established, assuming it was just vapor from the new stove I even had it going for hours trying to get rid of the smell with the windows open. The smell has died down a tad and the haze it gives of in the room has reduced somewhat but this is surely still not right is it?
I've done this four or five times now and it's starting to get right on my bloody nerves to be honest! lol
I've not long had the chimney swept and had the correct flu liner etc installed by a certified tradesman so no worry's there.
My wife and I have just had a baby boy and I now worry about putting too much wood incase it starts what with him being only 3 weeks old, using this stove is pointless if I can only have it going at half power?
Is this normal and if somebody could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful as it's cost me a lot of money so far plus its pretty bloody cold here in the UK and I'm starting to get seriously disheartened with it all. :(
Not that it should matter really but I think the stove is called a Willow?
Any ideas?

photo2-3.jpg

photo-15.jpg

It sounds to me like your paint is curing. With the partial loads of wood, it's just happening in several stages.

Now that you've had some break in fires, I'd say let it rip and get the paint fully cured.

BTW, even though my stove is a few years old, if I hit a new record high temp, I'll faintly smell paint again.

pen

Cheers for that, how long does this curing take, (how long is a piece of string I know!) but I've used it quite a few times now, over say 40 or more with fairly large loads and as I mentioned above I've had a good few rip roarers going for hours at a time?
Is this vapor hazardous at all?

Thanks again
Mark

Yup I agree with pen. could be paint, stove polish, something that was put on the outside of the stove. If it was a leaking gasket it should not have a toxic smell, just burning wood. You do have a CO and smoke detector, I hope. And yes not good for infants to breath. Maybe bring it up to heat when they are not home, stick a fan in the window at let it burn for a while. Or bring it outside and fire it up if you can. Usually does not take this long unless someone painted something not approved for heat. Be safe and welcome to the forum.
Ed

PS You do have a stove top thermometer and don't over- fire correct?

My stove is 12 years old and I still get a hot burning dust or metal smell off of it at times. I think any and all manner of stuff settles and condenses on it when it's not in use. If your stove is exposed to cooking fumes, tobacco smoke, and dust, you will likely have recurring burn off.

I do remember one issue on this very forum (quite a while back), that basically ended with the opinion that the stove had bad paint on it. It never really "cured". Mind you, this was the one and only that I can recall, and the stove dealer ended up replacing the stove (IIRC).

I think it may be too early to claim this with your stove....but... I just wanted to throw that out there.

Jags said:
I do remember one issue on this very forum (quite a while back), that basically ended with the opinion that the stove had bad paint on it. It never really "cured". Mind you, this was the one and only that I can recall, and the stove dealer ended up replacing the stove (IIRC).

I think it may be too early to claim this with your stove....but... I just wanted to throw that out there.

Touch wood this isn't the case with me, if need be could the paint be stripped and re applied?
I've just ordered a Condor magnetic thermometer after reading a few threads on here, If the stove has been over heated would this make a similar kind of smell? What are the signs if this were to happen?

Thanks for all the replies so far, most appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

UK Mark said:
Jags said:

Touch wood this isn't the case with me, if need be could the paint be stripped and re applied?
I've just ordered a Condor magnetic thermometer after reading a few threads on here, If the stove has been over heated would this make a similar kind of smell? What are the signs if this were to happen?

Thanks for all the replies so far, most appreciated.
Cheers
Mark

Don't get too wound up over this. That is why I specifically stated that I have only heard of it once. Its a low probability issue. My bet is that you are still just into the curing process. Keep firing the stove and watch that thermo. I'll bet it goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.