Toyota accelerator problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...shades of the Audi 5000 flap of thirty years or so ago...remember them? Ya gotta remember that there are a good supply of folks out there in among us that are a few bricks short of a load...:) In the Audi deal there were folks driving through store fronts...fronts and backs of their garages... and claimin' all kinds of weird stuff...:)...even the standaed shifts were doin' the lurchin' bit...:) Goverment suggested...if I remember right...that it was probably the operators fault...:) And don't ferget the explodin' Chevy pickups...:) I think it was the tv program "Night Line" that got caught riggin' a Chevy pickup with explosives so the thing would blow on demand...:) Gonna be one hell of a class action suit would be my guess...better run yer Toymotor into a tree and get on the wagon...:) Franklin

mike1234 said:
RowCropRenegade said:
Or turn the key....
Prius have buttons not keys, if you press the button while moving, it does not effect the car - so turning the key is not an option. But putting it in neutral is.
I have always just driven old junk, so I don't know anything about new cars, but Toyota builds a car that you cannot kill the engine anytime you want/need to?! Oh my. Are they the only ones that do this?

Simply press the stop/start button 3 seconds and it stops. 3 seconds out of 20 minutes on the cell phone and the story is over.

Had he hit the P button, it would have shifted to neutral instantly. You would have thought during 20 minutes that someone would have called the local Toyota dealer.

I saw a news report this morning where the now (in?-) famous driver of the Prius has been involved with schemes/lawsuits and a bankruptcy. He was behind on his payments on the car. His neighbors didn't speak too highly of him. It also sounded like the police were doubting his story. I'm sure if they check the computer on that car it will tell the real story. (did it get a WOT input for 20 minutes?)

I got a laugh this morning reading the results of the testing done on the guy's care out in California. Toyota and gov't wienies said that they concluded it was impossible for it to run away if the guy just stomped on the brakes. Well, they had to replace all of the pads and rotors before they could do their tests because they were burned up and warped from the guy's runaway adventure. Duh.

i hope they can somehow put that guy away for fraud. this toyota thing is way out of hand and it is no laughing matter any more. there are way to many toyota's out there.

Here's one possible scenario:

Realtor speeding on the freeway, spots a police car too late and knows he's nailed. Fakes a runaway car story to get out of the ticket cuz he will lose his license if he gets another speeding ticket.

The 911 operator is begging him to shift to neutral and he is saying "I don't think I can, it might flip the car." Right. :shut:

Not saying the car is perfect, but in this case it seems that it's the nut behind the wheel that's the problem here.

Or maybe the bankrupt operator of an internet swinger's website was just concerned that his lease was about to end on the car?

Oldmainer said:
Hello all...shades of the Audi 5000 flap of thirty years or so ago...remember them?

Audi sudden acceleration fiasco was proven beyond the shadow of a doubt the be driver error. It also happened to other makes like Ford T-Birds. You are required to step on the brake pedal in order to shift out of Park today because of the Audi sudden acceleration issue.

BrotherBart said:
I got a laugh this morning reading the results of the testing done on the guy's care out in California. Toyota and gov't wienies said that they concluded it was impossible for it to run away if the guy just stomped on the brakes. Well, they had to replace all of the pads and rotors before they could do their tests because they were burned up and warped from the guy's runaway adventure. Duh.

Not surprising that the brakes were worn out. The on-board computer recorded at least 250 combos of acceleration, then braking during that 20 minute escapade. (250 was the storage limit of the computer.) Surprising the guy didn't complain of whiplash.

Status
Not open for further replies.