TP 300 Not burning correctly, Newbie needs some help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baronvonsengir

Jan 23, 2008
NY State
I recently purchased (used) a Lennox Traditions T300P-2 free standing pellet stove. For the first few weeks, seemed to work like a charm. Now, however, I cannot seem to keep it running for more than 3-4 hours without the pellets piling up and the flame going out. I've done my research, and understand that the heat transfers need to be cleaned, and the burn grate emptied from time to time, so I have probably kept this about as clean as can be. Damper is ALL the way open, and still the pellets just pile up. The flame starts out nice, lively and clean, but doesn't stay that way for too long. Does this sound like too little combustion air issue? If so, should I attempt to adjust the combustion air trim higher? Any thoughts would help. Thanks.

The Baron

This stove has a photo eye which is used to view the fire. It sends pellet feed demand signals to the control board. When the photo eye gets dirty from stove use the eye does not see the flame and can cause the stove to go into fault mode

The photo eye needs to be cleaned. Easiest way to do this is to purchase a can of compressed air (used to clean a computer key board). Open the door, point the air up the pellet feed tube and give it 4-5 good puffs. This should clean the protective filter over the photo eye. You can get to the eye via the hopper for a more detailed cleaning but this method is the easiest way for a quick fix. The Traditions Pellet stove burns best with the damper all the way open.

Thanks Macey, damper is all the way open, and the pellet feed trim is all the way down. I guess the main problem is that it seems the pellets do not burn fast enough, and after 3-4 hours they accumulate in the burn grate, then spill over into the firebox. Of course when they pile up, they block the airflow, which causes the flame to get real lazy, and the accumulated pellets on top actually smother the flame.

baronvonsengir said:
Thanks Macey, damper is all the way open, and the pellet feed trim is all the way down. I guess the main problem is that it seems the pellets do not burn fast enough, and after 3-4 hours they accumulate in the burn grate, then spill over into the firebox. Of course when they pile up, they block the airflow, which causes the flame to get real lazy, and the accumulated pellets on top actually smother the flame.

Then you have a combustion problem
Air Leak
Flue plugged
Blower bad

Air leak would come from where? The manual said to check the gasket on the door, run a business card through it. I should feel some resistance, but still able to pull the card out (check!). If the blower is bad, is that something I would, if I were somewhat handy and had the inclination, be able to do myself?

Check the ash pan
is it latched

Is the burn pot in correctly

There is a lot of things it could be
Check the clean out ports for blockage
and make sure they are put back in place.

That stove used the same GUTS as the profile 20
so you might want to search some post about the profile 20

Allso read through all the post with the YELLOW stickies at the top of the pellet room

Firestarter,
Did you get your Lennox Traditions working? This is one of the stoves we're considering, so I"d like to know if you still have it, are happy with it, or did you kick it to the curb? :)
Bugnut

Still having trouble with it. I have not had a chance to really sink my teeth into it. I bought it used, but it is in excellent condition. I may need to a) replace the front window gasket, b) extend the vent pipe vertically to try to increase the draft. Right now it burns for about two hours and kicks out. Nearing the end of the season, I am not really putting much effort into troubleshooting it yet, don't have the time. It might also be the pellets I am using, I've tried several different brands, with varied success.

bugnut said:
Firestarter,
Did you get your Lennox Traditions working? This is one of the stoves we're considering, so I"d like to know if you still have it, are happy with it, or did you kick it to the curb? :)
Bugnut

I just installed Lennox Traditions 5 days ago. So far, so good. On my third bag of pellets. It's very attractive and I'm very happy with it.

bugnut said:
What color did you get?

Black enamel. The store I bought it from has one on display. The owner told me that they've been using it for about years. What part of WV do you live in. The store is about an hour from Morgantown.

Status
Not open for further replies.