Tractor pto stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stanley

Feeling the Heat
Dec 31, 2007
Southern ME
chickfarm.com
Hoping there are some hydraulic guys in here. Got a few ideas for projects. First, I have a tractor pto powered, 3 point hitch, 4 ft. rotary tiller. It is a Wheel Horse brand and is designed for Wheel Horse D series tractors. The pto speed on these tractors is 2000rpms. I didn't find this out until I bought it for my standard 540rpm pto tractor. Is there a such thing as an INLINE speed increaser gear box from 540rpm to 2000rpm that would have power enough to run a tiller?

Rick, what's the "hydraulic" issue here?
It sounds like you just need an inline reducer/increaser gearbox (a purely mechanical device where speed/torque changes depending on which direction you install it).
Or, is the tiller powered by a hydraulic pump that connects to your tractor's PTO shaft? If this is the case then you'll need to use a different external pump or the device Jags posted.

I was going to say that's a crazy fast RPM for a PTO, until I realized the front PTO on my own tractor runs 2100 RPM. I'm so used to seeing 540 or 1000 RPM for rear PTO's, that I assumed all implements ran those speeds.

If this tiller runs off a hydraulic pump, I'd be swapping to a 540 RPM pump with similar flow and pressure ratings, to run on your tractor. No sense in adapting mechanics, if you can do it hydraulically.

Status
Not open for further replies.