Tractor Supply has a new Splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbavh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 22, 2008
NJ Piney
Looks good, just bought one last year other wise I would have considered it, oh well.

Go see it operation first. I wanted to really really like it but wasn't terribly impressed. It just doesn't seem well engineered compared to similar designs from Super Split or DR Power.

When the employees at TSC were demoing this splitter on Saturday, they tried to split a triangular crotch piece and got it stuck on the wedge. Twice. They tried to use another split to push it through. Bad idea. Pieces of wood were flying everywhere. I just shook my head. They looked quite embarrassed.

One of them finally ran inside and got a long prybar. I would have used a sledge myself but they finally got it free and threw it to the side. That doesn't really bother me at all. I use wood like that for campfires.

Long as the grain is somewhat reasonable, I don't think this splitter would have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.