Tractor Supply Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Who makes TS pellets? They are in a plain white bag and says 100% hardwood made in Tennessee.
I just bought a few bags on the 29th, I tried to look up by bar code, maybe NEWP ... "7 4939410780 2" was the bar code on mine. They seem to be doing OK. Was a guy there buying some because SS was out, he said last ones he got were awful ... but there he was buying more?

Attachments

• wood pellets TSC.jpg
    wood pellets TSC.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 100
TSC corporate does it a couple different ways. They will buy pellets in quantity from any extruder who will package them in their house brand bags (which is what you have a picture of) or the will bulk buy a branded pellet (usually in the off season) and retail them. I get mine at TSC but I buy them in the early fall when there is a clear choice as to their house brand (iffy) and a reputable extruder's brand. Early buying will always be cheaper than during season buying as well.

Anything in the TSC bags can be from anywhere and they are usually (but not always) sub standard pellets. I avoid them. Tried a couple of the house bags some tears back, they were terrible.

I bought 1ton of TSC pellets in the same color bags this year. On outside of the clear cellophane wrapping it had Lignetics tag on it. So you just never know what you might get...but at least I had a decent clue. Actually they have been pretty good pellet...better than local opinions I got around me.

I just bought a few bags to compliment my Hamers from the SS Co-op.

I've run probably 8-10 bags of their softwood and another say 4 of their hardwood. They didn't seem bad just average in my very limited experience. One bag must've gotten wet at some point, it was full of disintegrated pellets.

I bought another several bags of hardwood from a semi-local Lowe's and they were much better than the TSC. Prices were about $5.50 per bag. Here in north Texas I buy in small quantities, don't have the storage space for a full ton.

You have to run the UPC code to find out what kind of pellets are in there. My local TSC has Maine Woods Pellets (not to be confused with Maine's Best). These are my go to pellets as a good value. They are a nice middle-of-the-road pellet and I can usually get them for $200-215/ton (an excellent price out this way).

I don't buy TSC's if my local place happens to have other codes on the bags (which has only happened once) because I've run GS and NEWPs and prefer not to do so again . However, I don't let my tonnage get low so I can wait for them to rotate out of stock . If they are MWP's, they will have a code of 852453003066

If you have a bag with wet, mush pellets, TSC will exchange it for a good bag, always have. You take the empty bag(s) back and they will give you good ones, no charge, exchange. Done that many times in the past. TSC 'associates. have a bad habit of running the forks through the bottom bags.

Reactions: gsspike
I have a skid of the TSC pellets. They burn pretty good. They are higher ash content than Somersets but my glass stays pretty clean. Somerset has much less ash but glass blackens up. I got them cheap. I would buy them again for the right price.

I got lucky i got 3 ton of lauzon(280 ton)out of quebec and 1 ton (180) from tsc and it just happens they got theres from lauzon lol I will watch for them next year and load up. The maxx will eat anything you throw in the hopper;)

Reactions: bogieb
I have a skid of the TSC pellets. They burn pretty good. They are higher ash content than Somersets but my glass stays pretty clean. Somerset has much less ash but glass blackens up. I got them cheap. I would buy them again for the right price.
Get the paintbrush out........lol

Reactions: rickwai and Ssyko
I don't care what they are in my situation. Just so long as they aren't wet and crumbly.

Reactions: Ssyko and rickwai
I've run probably 8-10 bags of their softwood and another say 4 of their hardwood. They didn't seem bad just average in my very limited experience. One bag must've gotten wet at some point, it was full of disintegrated pellets.

I bought another several bags of hardwood from a semi-local Lowe's and they were much better than the TSC. Prices were about $5.50 per bag. Here in north Texas I buy in small quantities, don't have the storage space for a full ton.
In reality, you can store them outside, in the weather, so long as you keep the plastic overcover on the pallet and there are no holes or tears in it. I used to do that way back when with no issue. You just have to make sure the overcover (that comes on every pallet of pellets remains secure and like I said, no holes in it.

I've found the best time to buy pellets is in the summer when retailers have left over pellets sitting around they want to sell off. You just have to use discretion when buying them and look hard at the condition of the bags. In as much as the bags are easy to puncture, left over pellets can have holes in the bags from poor handling by store associates.

I got lucky i got 3 ton of lauzon(280 ton)out of quebec and 1 ton (180) from tsc and it just happens they got theres from lauzon lol I will watch for them next year and load up. The maxx will eat anything you throw in the hopper;)
Lucky you!

Reactions: Ssyko
Get the paintbrush out........lol
On the Harman I keep container of water by the stove and when I catch it in shut down mode when it hits target temp I pop the door open and wipe it off with a wet paper towel. I use the brush on the St. Croix, It runs 24/7, sometimes for 3 weeks straight. Then when I have to shut it down and use glass cleaner

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I never use glass cleaner anymore, just the paintbrush. Not a thing being squeaky clean thing with me. Only things that see it most times are the cats that lay in front of it, toasting themselves...

Getting COLD here as promised by NWS.