1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Tractor Supply Wood Pellet

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by bdaoust, Oct 23, 2013.

1. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    I burnt my first bad of the Tractor Supply branded pellets.

I have to say, they weren't bad.

My P68 is in the basement of a 1,200 sqft Cape. My upstairs living room, where the room temp sensor is, was at 62 when I fired up the stove and within an hour or so it was at 64. Not bad considering the heat has to get up the basement stairs (I do have two registers, one in the living room by the outside wall). I'm thinking of getting some of those register fans to stuck the heat up through the registers (any links?)

I feel that heat was pretty good and the ash wasn't bad. I mean, I definitely needed to scrape after a few hours, but it was not awful.

Last week I burnt Walmart (I believe Maine Choice?) and I feel the heat was not great and ash was horrible.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    You shouldn't hafta scrape the burnpot more than every couple of days, & the heat exchanger once a week or so...Every few HOURS? Not good at all...
  3. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Daksy -

I could be over doing it. However, the P68 burn put has few rows of air holes, so I figured it's important to keep the free of the ash.
  4. Pellet-King

Pellet-King Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    I'm gunna try a few bags i have 2 choices near me GS or TSC
  5. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Here is the ash in my P68 after burning only 1/2 bag of the TSC brand.

Seems excessive(?) Should I be scraping this since there are air holes where the ash is?

20131024_083320.jpg
  6. Ted Harrison

Ted Harrison New Member

Loc:
    Dellroy, Ohio
    As far as a register fan goes, I have the same set-up with registers. I use a Lasko Stanley from Walmart. I hung it from the ceiling beams with bungee cords with the business end facing the top. It's got three speeds so you can very how much air you want blowing up and into your room. It also works good in the summer for circulating more air around in the house. Plus, it's easy to take down and use elsewhere. Hope this helps.
  7. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Ted - if you have a picture of that fan setup - that would be appreciated.
  8. Ted Harrison

Ted Harrison New Member

Loc:
    Dellroy, Ohio
    No problem. I'll take a picture tonight and get it posted.
  9. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Thanks!
  10. Ted Harrison

Ted Harrison New Member

Loc:
    Dellroy, Ohio
    Here you go on the pictures.

Attached Files:

fmsm and newbieinCT like this.
  11. bdaoust

bdaoust Member

Loc:
    Western, MA
    Ted:

Thanks for doing this. Good idea to get that heat up! Going to give it a try.

Have a good weekend.
  12. Ted Harrison

Ted Harrison New Member

Loc:
    Dellroy, Ohio
    No problem. Actually this hook-up was my wifes idea. She's the one with the mechanical smarts in the family. Old farm girl thinking I guess. You have a good weekend also.
    bdaoust likes this.
  13. Utilitrack

Utilitrack Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central ME
    Seems excessively dirty to me for only half a bag of pellets!!! I would not be happy if I had those in any quantity, I would try to mix with a higher quality pellet but that is just me, too much work with those pellets as far as I am concerned.
  14. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    Burned a bag thursday, bought a ton yesterday, less ash than GS
    Can you adjust your air coming to maybe help keep them air holes cleaner?
    I have no experiance with push style stoves, to me it seems dangerous and whats preventing the flames from going inside and catching the hopper on fire?
    fmsm likes this.
  15. Ted Harrison

Ted Harrison New Member

Loc:
    Dellroy, Ohio
    I always try to give the pellets I use the "clink test". I'll put some in my hand and shake them, if they make a clinking sound, I know they have a good coating and are made solid, if they don't make that sound, they will probably turn to mush and give you a lot of residue.
  16. dlehneman

dlehneman Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I bought a ton from my local TSC based on them being MWP and a decent reputation. After burning 2 bags, I'm regretting my purchase. Not sure if they absorbed too much moisture being stored outside (at the store) or if for some reason my stove just doesn't like them but they are the lowest heat pellets I've tested yet. Maine's Choice beat them by a decent margin, Green Supreme were considerable hotter and those were the worst things I've tested to date. The ash seems about the same as GS and a little less then the MC ones.
    Anyone want to buy some? $4 a bag/ $195 ton and there yours
  17. jimfrompa

jimfrompa New Member

Loc:
    Spring Grove, PA
    l'm new to this forum and to pellet burning, but I always thought that the big box stores bought their pellets from wherever they found the best price. In other words, even tho the bag says TSC or Lowes, etc., the pellets might have been made and packaged by different manufacturers. True?
  18. dlehneman

dlehneman Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    You are basically correct: for example I believe TSC has 6 different mills bagging pellets under there name. This minimizes the distance the have to transport them and reduces their costs. You can usually search the UPC to find out which company actually made them. So in this case I know mine are MWP based on the UPC (store employees also said they had just switched the bags from MWP style to the new TSC red bags, but same pellets).

Lowe's and Home Depot don't currently have there own brands that I'm aware of. It's a similar scenario to TSC in that different geographic locations carry different brands in an effort to reduce transport costs. My local Lowes carries pellets made in Maine (Maine's Choice), one from NH (GS-NEWP Jaffrey plant) and then the GT Platinums that are made in PA that is sold at a higher price (as their "premium" pellets).
  19. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Yes.
    The box stores don't make pellets. What's in their bags will vary depending on location.
  20. Padraic

Padraic New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Hi folks,

A friend of mine manages a TSC here in the Bangor, Maine area. He told me that, at least around here, TSC pellets are from Maine Wood Pellets in Athens, ME. The lady at the register today (at the Bangor location) confirmed this as well. If they are correct, then the pellets are a deal right now at $199 vs. $239 for MWP at Dysart's. I picked up a ton today, I'll give 'em a try this weekend.

UPDATE: I opened a bag of my TSC-brand pellets today and compared them to the MWP pellets I had left over from last winter. They look very much the same, for what that's worth.

Hope this helps. I've lurked here off and on for a few winters and picked up some very helpful information--thanks for that!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  21. UMainah

UMainah Member

Loc:
    Bangor, ME
    If you check the UPC on your bags they'll come up as Maine Woods Pellets.
    That's a good price for the Bangor area. A couple weeks ago the Bangor TSC was selling them for $235/ton, but they would price match Home Depot and Walmart at $209/ton if you ask customer service.
  22. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I never have to scrape the burnpot using softies...every few hours,,,really?
  23. gck978

gck978 Member

Loc:
    north eastern ma
    tried TSC pellets burnt great little ash, used some leftover greene team nothing but klinkers. so impressed with tsc pellets i got two ton still early in the season to really give a good review'. the only problem is a lot of fines in the bags pushing out at about 280 at the heat exchangers.
  24. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    what stove do you have, 3 or 4 inch venting? most here not impressed with rebagged NEWPS
  25. Pellet-King

Loc:
    Northern Ct
    UPC on the bags around here show there made by Energex, not MWP or Newp