Trading up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris S

Jan 22, 2008
Orange County NY
I'm building a new home - radiant in slab, staple up, snow melt on my aprons, and radiant in my shop. Pressurized storage is also planned. My boiler will be in a detached building, which is started. I bought the eko before the price increase & it's sitting in the garage. I contacted Viessman & got the pat answer. Now I'm told Froling will be available in November.

My wife's response was " do you have $4000 sitting around that I don't know about". I have a home for the eko- a customer wants it. Today my wife says " well you'd better make sure that other boiler is coming before you install this one at Dan's). I'm itching to do it, but...there are so many things I could do with $4000, and that eko will certainly keep my feet warm. I could...

1. Take her on vacation- Aruba is lovely in February
2. Buy a bigger chain saw- I'd love an 044, or a big Jonsered
3. 30 hrs. Rental in a Warrior, or get my seaplane rating & 20 hrs of rental yet!!
4. Make 4 more machine payments
5. 12 hours of instruction in a R-22
6. Money plays- 4000 on Red (she wouldn't speak to me for a week)

Decisions- decisions

First advice: The best wood boiler in the world will not keep you as warm as your wife. Make sure she's on board with whatever you do.

Second: Could there be that much difference between the Eko and Froling?

My $0.02

Instrument rated ? Im seaplane rated and I hardly use it. After spending all this time and money, it sure is good to be flying again.

The endless dilemma of life - wants vs needs. I would invest it for the future, wife's and mine or the children; if those taken care of (meaning I could retire right now feeling well secured for the future), then I would give it to a local food shelf or home heating assistance for those who need it. There are many people in great need.

It's the old fuel mileage problem of diminishing returns. Going from 15 mpg to 20mpg saves a lot and isn't hard. Going from 30 to 40 mpg doesn't save anywhere near as much and involves a lot more sacrifice.

The Froling is nice and arguably better in many ways, but it's not going to perform much differently in terms of wood consumption at least. You're left with the quandary: If you want to tell time, how much better is a Seiko than a Timex?

Of course, if you also want to impress your friends, that's a different story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.