• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawaisunn

Nov 7, 2015
Idaho
First time I've been exposed to a pellet stove, and it's a Traeger MPD040T circa 1986. I'm renting the house its in and the landlords are new owners (have no history with the stove). I used it last spring a few times when I moved in, but the thermostat didn't regulate stove operation well; once running the stove would just keep feeding pellets to the firebox, or if thermostat set too low the stove would go out. The old thermostat had a cracked housing and some scorching (even though it is in the hall), and the thermometer was inaccurate, so I replaced it with a Honeywell CT87N. I tried several settings with the switches on the back of the thermostat (gravity, electric, gas, etc.) but the auger never started moving. I wired the red and white together, and after about 15 minutes the auger started feeding the firebox, as expected, so I put the thermostat back in the loop. But then the auger would not stop feeding the warm stove. I tried several thermostat switch and temp settings with no luck. I'm new to mechanical stoves and would like to use this one because my wood stove is huge, heavy, the living room is small, and I have a 3 year old and and a crawling little one that would, well, need I say more? Looking for insight on the switch settings on the thermostat, how to troubleshoot the feed cycle, or any advice how to regulate the heat and pellet usage other than firing it up and unplugging it when the room gets too hot. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.