Traeger PB150 add on hopper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlmilligan

Jul 3, 2008
Bangor Maine
Does anyone have any ideas on a add on hopper for a PB150? I am new to this and have not recieved my boiler yet, so I am not sure how this would work or what my options are. I would like to get at least 400 to 500 pounds in to the hopper so I can go a week or so between fill ups. That is if the ash pan will take it. I have some room next to the boiler and I think I will make it out of 2x4s and plywood. If I remove one of my oil tanks, then it could be up to 10L x 4W x 6H. I have 93" ceilings in my basement so with 6' high I could still have 2 feet or so under the unit for the auger hook up.
Thanks

I wouldn't recommend adding onto the factory hopper. Thats an awful lot of weight for the hopper design.

If your handy - and could build one -- I recommend build one off to the side and a bit higher so you might gravity feed replacement fuel ( as via a piece of 3 inch PVC)

or build a large hopper to the side with an electric auger so anyone could simply flick the switch and refill the appliance hopper.

But if you burn the PB150 24/7 under hi fire when its terribly cold - you only need to fill every 12 hours - and under those conditions you will want to look in on the thing anyway.

thanks Sting, i am just running thru some ideas. I would like to think i am pretty handy around the house so building one would not be an issue. I was just thinking about something that would refill the hopper automaticaly. I don't know how often I will have to clean the ash pan but I would like the hopper to last at least as long as the ash pan. I don't think I will do anything this year. I will wait to see how this winter goes. Hopefully I can keep it at 8 tons.
Thanks

Cleaning the ash --- its all going to hinge on the fuel -- Great fuel makes little ash - poor fuel makes a lot. Baby Boiler will eat what you feed it and produce about the same on either quality.

Just a guess - your going to want to shut down and punch the vertical flues - sweep the turbulators and upper smoke chamber - dump the ash pan every 500 pounds for best appliance efficiency.

Sales literature says far less often - your doing this to save money - you should invest a little extra time to save as much as you can.

Take a look at my posts at iburncorn.com under the Traeger tab for more information on this. -- and some foolish ideas to make the appliance work a little better than stock.

JL,
Are you still looking at some kind of bulk for you PB 150?

I just built an automatic filler for mine using a Corn Vac, a shop vac and an empty fiber barrel as the bulk storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.