Traeger Pellet Grill - Costco - Strongsville, OH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eatonpcat

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2011
Eaton Township, Ohio
They have a demonstration going on and the prices look good.

Don't know the models, but they have a small, medium and large

Small - looks like it's for midgets is 499.00

Medium - 669.00

Large 799.00 (I think this this the Texas Grill Model)

Also have the pellets for about 15.00/bag

I am a member, so if anyone wants to buy, I would be happy to meet in Strongsville to get you in.
They will be there for another week or until sold out!

My Gas Grill took a Chit this yr.... (burners are rusted out) I coukd buy 4 new burners..... But a New Pellet Grill sounds very appealing ;)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
My Gas Grill took a Chit this yr.... (burners are rusted out) I coukd buy 4 new burners..... But a New Pellet Grill sounds very appealing ;)

Was just at Costco in Avon, They also have them, So I figure they all must have them. Mad Dog let me know if you want to go, I would be happy to take you if you're not a member.

I have a Traeger grill (going on 5 yrs). I like it and I use the same pellets I burn in all my stoves. They have their place but it is not the silver bullet of grilling. I still have and use an LP and a charcoal grill.

Eric

I saw several stove shops closing out Traegers back in Jan-Feb. They were dropping the line because of them going big box. I would get em now before they are cheapened up. Darned if I didn't see Ducane grills in Lowes or HD a few weeks ago. I believe that Webber bought Ducane years ago and made them the lesser line; if ya cant beat em, buy em.

I almost went for a Traeger on one of the close outs, but decided to go with Big Green Egg instead, absolutely love it for all of my grilling. Try and get 750-800 deg sear on a pellet grill. Cant really go wrong with either though and the Egg isnt push button lighting (although close to it)

Bottom line, you may see Traegers popping up at more big box stores.

Check Out the Green Mountain Pellet Grills - sold at Stove Shops and Specialty BBQ Shops. Best Bang for the Buck, also extremely good technical support from the manufacturer.
Everything about the GMG is head and shoulders above the other.

The bottom line is price. What will you pay to cook outside 2-4 times a week? The big box stores sell LP grills at $100-$175 for an entry level unit. Charcoal is well under $100 for entry level.

A Mom and Pop store can not live on the profit of one of those units, there is not enough of them sold to justify the the floor space and they do not have the buying power of the big box store. Selling a Treager had a decent profit but how many can you sell? 80% of home owners do not know what a wood pellet stove is much less a wood pellet grill. Then comes pellets. That is another argument all together.

Eric

Traeger is going big box, and they have moved operations to China. As a result the newer BBQs from Traeger are far more cheaply made than before. Seemingly they are going to live off the good brand name, mass market them and make a fortune selling cheaper stuff. Sad... if you want a good Trager, buy one of the last of the pre-China models (not sold at a big box store). Otherwise, get a Brinkmann. They are better and cheaper than the Traeger 'lil Texas model with more features, better steel, better welds (actually, no welds on the new baby Traegers that we could find). Reasonable design, and you can upgrade them with the Traeger or Ortech digital controller. My brother got one and it cranks out some mighty fine BBQ. The $500 price is about as cheap as you can get into the pellet BBQ line with. If you want more from a pellet grill, you will have to lay out at least a grand. Green Mountain and one or two other brands are great but they are spendy.

BTW: as far as these pellet BBQ grills go, they are the latest rage, but for a good reason. They work and work well. Pros want them banned from BBQ competitions, they are that easy and that good. You can also get a wide variety of wood pellets for them now, and mix wood species to your tastes. They are going to be the next wave in BBQ.

GMG is one of the best grills out there (and i am not saying that because i sell them) we tested almost everybrand and came up with GMG as the best......And we only use cooking pellets because when we used reg pellets it made the food taste funny

Egads...

NEVER use regular heating pellets for cooking in a pellet grill. That stuff has glue and bonding agents from plywood and strandboard scraps, and god knows what other crap in there from being stored and bagged and shipped. It also has all kinds of crappy woods used in the building industry that are not suited for BBQ, including cottonwood which is stinkey stuff, and pine and high resin softwoods that you do not want in BBQ. Save that stuff for heating the house with...

GMG is one of the best grills out there (and i am not saying that because i sell them) we tested almost everybrand and came up with GMG as the best......And we only use cooking pellets because when we used reg pellets it made the food taste funny

I have no experience with pellet grills, why go that route instead of gas? What are the benefits, is it a green issue or performance? Sorry if this is an old question.

We tested lots of pellets grills and had some hopped fires and tried cooking food and some burt it some did better then others etc we just found the GMG to be the most user friendly and easiest to use that did not catch the hopper on fire

Egads...

NEVER use regular heating pellets for cooking in a pellet grill. That stuff has glue and bonding agents from plywood and strandboard scraps, and god knows what other crap in there from being stored and bagged and shipped. It also has all kinds of crappy woods used in the building industry that are not suited for BBQ, including cottonwood which is stinkey stuff, and pine and high resin softwoods that you do not want in BBQ. Save that stuff for heating the house with...

There are some pellets out therr that are safe for using in Pellet Grills (cooking). The Lignin within the wood is the Binder for many pellet manufacturers. No need for glus or binders. The heat from the process is what binds (lignin).

There are people within the Hearth industry that make these stoves and use Heating pellets. England Stove Works is a fine example. They are making a Grill (Getting tested) and use Lignetics Green Labels (Only use Hardwood Fiber w/ no additives.

IRRC, Cubex is another (or Turmans?) Now I forget. But there are a few other threads on these Grills that people use regular pellets. Knowing whats in them is key. They coukd be used for cooking, but thats another thing that they have to test for. Testing = $$$

Otherwise, get a Brinkmann. They are better and cheaper than the Traeger 'lil Texas model with more features, better steel, better welds (actually, no welds on the new baby Traegers that we could find).

He looked at the Brinkmann and was sold. Great stove/smoker/grill. Everything that comes off that thing is perfect.

Do you work for Brinkmann?

just askin.

Do you work for Brinkmann?

just askin.

I do not work for anyone but myself. But for you doubters: please see my legalese:

I do not represent any stove or BBQ company, pellet company, or wood products company. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Brinkmann company or any of its affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Traeger Company or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Home Depot Corp., or any of their affilliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Bass Corp., or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Green Mountain Grill Company or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the OrTech Company or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from any company that makes wood pellets, or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Stihl, Inc. or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Husqvarna Corp. or any of their affiliates. I do not work for or otherwise get any compensation from the Dolmar Corp., or any of their affiliates. My opinions posted here are my own, and I do not get any compensation for the posts I make here for the producst that I endorse or otherwise say positive things about, or slams that I make about products that I do not like.

I think that about covers what I have posted opinions about on this site lately... JHC, can't anyone actually like or dislike something and post about it here?

Reactions: DexterDay
I have no experience with pellet grills, why go that route instead of gas? What are the benefits, is it a green issue or performance? Sorry if this is an old question.

I said the same thing a few weeks ago. I used briquette grills for years, and gas grills for many more years. Briquettes take a long time to start they are a fire hazard (I nearly burned my oldest brother's house down with his Habachi grill). They also cook really hot which is great for some things but not for others. They do not add that much flavor to the food and they add an off taste if you used lighter fluid. I flipped to an LP Weber-Q when they came out, and I still have it. It still cooks good for a gas grill. But gas is neutral at best, and does not add any real flavor to the food that you are cooking. Gas has the advantage of being fast though, and having far better temperatire control. I used to be a chef, and we used natural gas grills for steaks and the flat grills.They are great for fast cooking steaks to any doneness, but for smoking fish with? Not. For BBQ? Not. For ribs? Not so great. For slow roasted veggies? Not... And a million other things, they are just not that great.

These pellet BBQs are the new game in town. I had no idea what my brother was going on about, but I went over to his place and we put his new Brinkmann pellet grill together and had it running and burned in within 2 hours. We tossed on some pork ribs and they were to die for, as my mother would say. One factor is that they are temperature controlled, so they have even heat (unlike using wood or briquettes). The other factor is the wood smoke flavor makes all the difference. You can add whatever type of wood pellets that you like to flavor the food with, or mix pellet species, and that is the main key to these grills. It adds a ton of flavor to the food. You can smoke meats, cheese and veggies with them, as well as grill or roast with them. I put some corn cobs in foil with some butter and garlic and salt on there, and in 10 minutes we had gourmet mixed wood light smoke tasting corn that was better than any other corn I have cooked in years. We smoked a whole coho salmon the other day in the Brinkmann, after I brined it. It was as good as what we used to get when we were kids in Campbell River, BC, the Mecca of Salmon fishing. The BBQ that this thing produces? We had a chicken on there that we used a medely of woods on (apple, alder, mesquitte) and that just melted in your mouth. The next day chilled it was like deli chicken, moist and tender and smokey. I see now what people in Texas call BBQ. You cannot really get this quality BBQ anywere around here, at least not that I have found.

Anyway, I can go on and on about these grills. They are great. For a long time they were only available for really high prices, in the thousands of dollars.Traeger has been making them for years, and they have some newer smaller entry level grills at a reasonable price point (under a grand). However, they recently were sold and moved operations to China, and their quality has dropped off a cliff. For the price, I think the Brinkmann is a great deal. It works, and we have never had any flareups or burnouts, and no burned food, or failed food attempts. We have cooked a hell of a lot of food on it in a short time. Everything that comes off that thing is top quality BBQ. Even toasted bread tastes great. It is really hard to srcrew up BBQ with one of these things. You can look on the grilling sites, like this one for a full rundown on the pellet grills out there. These guys know what they are taking about, and they know BBQ:

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/pellet_smokers.html

There are some pellets out therr that are safe for using in Pellet Grills (cooking). The Lignin within the wood is the Binder for many pellet manufacturers. No need for glus or binders. The heat from the process is what binds (lignin).

There are people within the Hearth industry that make these stoves and use Heating pellets. England Stove Works is a fine example. They are making a Grill (Getting tested) and use Lignetics Green Labels (Only use Hardwood Fiber w/ no additives.

IRRC, Cubex is another (or Turmans?) Now I forget. But there are a few other threads on these Grills that people use regular pellets. Knowing whats in them is key. They coukd be used for cooking, but thats another thing that they have to test for. Testing = $$$

Well, some of the wood heating pellets I have seen here are made from OSB and plywood sraps and the like, and that is where the binders are from, not from forming the pellets themselves. The real issue is controlling the wood species and the flavors that they impart on the food that you smoke and BBQ. Generic wood pellets for smoking and making BBQ are pretty useless in my opinion. The woods that I have been using are alder, apple, cherry, and hickory. Oak and mesquitte are commonly used, but it seems that they are a carry-over from charcoal cooking and they are really not that great for these types of cookers, IMO. Oak pellets are too strong for smoking most foods. Alder is great for anything, and my preference. There are a lot of bagged single species pellet woods sold around here for using in these. They do not burn through that much in the way of pellets, and so the cost is pretty low for buying specific species of wood, and they make all the difference. Really. Its a new world... for BBQ.

Reactions: DexterDay
Well, some of the wood heating pellets I have seen here are made from OSB and plywood sraps and the like, and that is where the binders are from, not from forming the pellets themselves. The real issue is controlling the wood species and the flavors that they impart on the food that you smoke and BBQ. Generic wood pellets for smoking and making BBQ are pretty useless in my opinion. The woods that I have been using are alder, apple, cherry, and hickory. Oak and mesquitte are commonly used, but it seems that they are a carry-over from charcoal cooking and they are really not that great for these types of cookers, IMO. Oak pellets are too strong for smoking most foods. Alder is great for anything, and my preference. There are a lot of bagged single species pellet woods sold around here for using in these. They do not burn through that much in the way of pellets, and so the cost is pretty low for buying specific species of wood, and they make all the difference. Really. Its a new world... for BBQ.

no "post consumer materials" are to be used in the manufacture of residential grade pellets. nothing recycled, nothing repurposed. OSB, plywood, and other types of already processed wood products can only be made into industrial grade pellets (suitable for power plants). if you're dealing with a reasonably professional pellet operation then the pellets should not have anything but wood, and some type of lubricant for the die (constarch,parafin,veggie oils)..notice I said reasonably professional.....I've seen some mills grind pallets and try to pass them off as "Premium"...but they would be the extreme minority.

Some grill manufactures like Traeger void their warranty if you use anything but their pellets. I dunno how they can prove if you used some other brand of pellets designed for food prep. though. Pellets that I have seen here sold by the ton for home heating do not have labels on them, nor do they look or smell very savory. I do not see how anyone can tell if they were made for industry or for home heating, or what grade they are. This is from the Lignetics web site:

"the old “Honor” system that has served our industry the past 25 years on maintaining wood pellet fuel quality is gone. Quality, in some cases has been replaced by price point, and consumer confidence has suffered as a result. Some new manufacturers are using raw material contaminated with foreign substances that are potentially harmful to stove operation and produce emissions that could exceed EPA (Environmental Protection Agency ) standards, as well as PFI fuel standards. All the while the packaging indicates “Premium Grade Wood Pellet Fuel.” You as a consumer have a right to expect the product to be as advertised."

I hear ya....buyer beware and all that. I've been using these grills for 6-7 years, own a Traeger (was badged as a S&W when I bought it) and have seen zero difference between the food grade and decent residential grade (all HW btw), other than the food grade pellets come in a sealed bag. Every grill manufacturer says "our pellets only"....and that's fine. I'm not suggesting everyone do as I do. I already have plenty hardwood pellets around, and they've worked fine for years. I wouldn't recommend any softood pellets for this purpose, but "to each their own". If Lignetics thinks that talking bad about other manufactrers is the same as talking good about yours...I think they are mistaken.

I think the availability of hardwood or softwood pellets for home heating is a regional thing. Out here in the wild west softwood/conifer pellets dominate the market. One of the larger pellet companies here is West Oregon, maker of Blazer and Hot Shot pellets, and they are both made out of doug fir (not very good for BBQ). They claim is that doug fir is as good as any hardwood out there for heating, which is true comparing the BTU content of doug fir to many hardwoods, but not all. They also have BBQ pellets, but they are a mix of too many hardwoods in my opinion (alder, apple, hickory, maple, mesquite, and other "secret ingredients"). I do not like buying anything with "secret ingredients"... I also find that mesquite is too dominant a flavor for many foods (like salmon). I am very pickey about what I smoke my salmon with.

Another large heating pellet maker here is Bear Mountain, also 100% doug fir (America's Best brand). Lignetics has a huge plant in Idaho and they use "recycled, renewable sawmill waste" *cough* to make their heating pellets with. Back east, Lingnetics uses hardwoods, but in Idaho, Lingnetics pellets are all made from a variety of western conifer sawdust, which species is in the bag at any time depends on what they are milling at any particular time. Forest Energy Wood Pellets in Arizona are made from 100% recycled wood and biomass residue. They seem to put many types of woods into their pellets. None of these are pellets that I want in my BBQ, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.