Trail Clearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Before I could get the beech I had to clear these two pine (hemlock) then after bucking up the beech I checked some trails for more down trees and found some cherry.

The last two pictures are cherry.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2130.jpg
    100_2130.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_2131.jpg
    100_2131.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 100_2132.jpg
    100_2132.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 100_2133.jpg
    100_2133.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_2139.jpg
    100_2139.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 354
  • 100_2140.jpg
    100_2140.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 323
Those first two with the creek running through it is Awesome!

Zap, your property is just plain sweet! I'm a bat biologist, and that stream looks perfect for catching bats - love it! How wide is the stream? How deep? Cheers!

What is all that white stuff? We don't have any of that around here (yet).

NH_Wood said:
Zap, your property is just plain sweet! I'm a bat biologist, and that stream looks perfect for catching bats - love it! How wide is the stream? How deep? Cheers!

NH_Wood thanks, we lucked out getting the property and we do enjoy it. Just a guess on how wide the stream is, 20-25 feet. Most of the brook is very shallow(inches) with some holes about two maybe three feet deep.

When we would canoe on the river across the street the bats would come out just when it was getting dark and covered the river.

zap

smokinjay said:
Those first two with the creek running through it is Awesome!

Thanks smokinjay, it holds some small rainbow and they say some brownies also.

zap

zap were you lucky enough to have those trails when you bought the land? Do you ever have to put in any yourself?

GolfandWoodNut said:
zap were you lucky enough to have those trails when you bought the land? Do you ever have to put in any yourself?

GolfandWoodNut the trails (road) had been made before we bought the property about 20-30 years ago, so the only trails I make are off the main trail.

The man who first owned it has trails to every hill and parts of the property so most of the time I just keep them clear. We have about four areas that I need to extend or make a new trail, but the hard part was done by the first owner.

The land was owned by one family before us, we bought it from the son but the father was the woodsmen.

zap

Zap, I agree that is nice along the creek. We've found that keeping trails cleared is an annual task, but it surely is nice having the trails.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I agree that is nice along the creek. We've found that keeping trails cleared is an annual task, but it surely is nice having the trails.

Sav we have a nice area above the brook that will be cleaned up and made ready for the summer, we have some downed cherry with some pine there.

My wife wants me to clean it up so we can put up a screenhouse along with a table with chairs for outside.

zap

Zap, that sounds like a wonderful plan. Maybe my wife and I will stop in to see it next year.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, that sounds like a wonderful plan. Maybe my wife and I will stop in to see it next year.

Mrs. Sav and Mr. Sav are welcome, just give us a call.

zap

NH_Wood said:
Do Bats like creeks? or water. We have allot of Bats is that because of our creek? Please explain. Thanks

IPLUMB said:
NH_Wood said:
Do Bats like creeks? or water.

Open space for an easy meal. They seem to especially like calm slow or non-moving water. It can be pretty entertaining paddling home after dark in the summer.

How are you doing for snow Zap? Did the ground at least partially freeze before it started coming down?

SolarAndWood said:
How are you doing for snow Zap? Did the ground at least partially freeze before it started coming down?

The ground is starting to freeze, for the snow we have 2-3 inches of fluffy white stuff.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
IPLUMB said:
NH_Wood said:
Do Bats like creeks? or water.

Open space for an easy meal. They seem to especially like calm slow or non-moving water. It can be pretty entertaining paddling home after dark in the summer.

Bats spend the daytime hours in a tree hollow, under bark, in an attic, etc., etc. Water loss is high during the day, so when they emerge they head for a drink. Streams within woodlands are great places to catch bats (if they are wide enough and not too cluttered with veg), since they travel the stream corridor to drink and feed on insects rising from the water. SolarandWood is right - calm water is best - riffles generate high frequency sound which impacts the ability of bats to echolocate (essentially, it's interference). I've spent hundreds of nights sitting along streams in the middle of nowhere, catching lots of these critters. Lots of fun. Cheers!

nice area zap. i have relatives in the northern tier, off of 87 in essex county. Have two 400 acre tracts side by side. They were loggers as not much else to do in that region and have log/skid roads running all over the old homestead. I can remember spending summers helping them peel the bark from the pine and throwing the 4' lengths on the pallet of pulp and riding the skid team back to the barn. Times and equipment has changed but the area hasn't....much of it still untouched and undeveloped. I love it up there, but live near D.C.. i envy you......enjoy it.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
nice area zap. i have relatives in the northern tier, off of 87 in essex county. Have two 400 acre tracts side by side. They were loggers as not much else to do in that region and have log/skid roads running all over the old homestead. I can remember spending summers helping them peel the bark from the pine and throwing the 4' lengths on the pallet of pulp and riding the skid team back to the barn. Times and equipment has changed but the area hasn't....much of it still untouched and undeveloped. I love it up there, but live near D.C.. i envy you......enjoy it.

cass

Thanks Cass, if I may ask what town in Essex County?

zap

SolarAndWood said:

Solar I just checked accuweather.com and they expect us to receive a total off 11 inches in the next three days.

zap

We have the same thing underway. It is going to be a foot of snow insulating the mud. We have been lucky the past few years to have the ground freeze before the snow came.

Sure...they live in Lewis, Elizibethtown, Wesport and New Russia. Mostly Dickersons in that area now but some Cassavaugh's too and also around Whiteface Mt/Saranac Lake. I was born in Plattsburgh, some 58 years ago but my folks went south to the Albany area for work. I love it up there. It sucks not many jobs unless you want to be a logger or service industry. All my cousins either own their own business or work for one that does. I ended up doing 10 years in the army and now use the trade i learned there, here in the D.C. Area.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
Sure...they live in Lewis, Elizibethtown, Wesport and New Russia. Mostly Dickersons in that area now but some Cassavaugh's too and also around Whiteface Mt/Saranac Lake. I was born in Plattsburgh, some 58 years ago but my folks went south to the Albany area for work. I love it up there. It sucks not many jobs unless you want to be a logger or service industry. All my cousins either own their own business or work for one that does. I ended up doing 10 years in the army and now use the trade i learned there, here in the D.C. Area.

cass

Nice areas, Saranac Lake is about 1:15 hours south of us.

zap

yea, i noted you were up there in "cold country". Never been to that part of the state. Would like to someday.

keep warm..

cass

tcassavaugh said:
yea, i noted you were up there in "cold country". Never been to that part of the state. Would like to someday.

keep warm..

cass

Cold wise the last two winters have been good, today the temp is 21. I had planned on splitting but both splitters are down so I was going to swing the maul until I screwed something up in my left wrist, so pushing in this weeks wood will be the only outdoor work today.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.