trailer axle ratings for pellet hauling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mascoma

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
Upper Valley NH
Seems its nearly twice the cost to get from 1600lb rating to 2200lbs and I'm cheap.

Wondering what happens if you put 2000lbs on a trailer rated for 1600lbs on a regular basis. Is it just going to wear out quicker? Or is it a death trap?

Load would be well within tow vehicles limits.

A member gio had a thread on this a while back. If you are going to restack them anyway? Just unload 10 bags or so into the tow vehicle. This will keep your trailer within its weight limit.

Overlaoded springs sag and its possible for the tires to hit the fenders. Also overloaded springs can break and your load could end up all over the highway. I'd worry on long hauls at highway speed.

I have seen a few trailers loaded with pellets laying in the parking lot of a few stores with an axle broken.

Yessss unload a few bags into the tow rig. and keep the spped down.

If you must go a long way (20 miles or more) its far better to pay the $$$ for a heavier trailer than to have the light duty one come apart, scattering your bags of pellets all over the highway and maybe causing an injury wreck or worse.

A tandem axle trailer can do the task fine.

I have loaded 2 tons of pellets in the Dually pickup but only have to go about 5 miles and on back roads at that.

Rules can be broken, but it must be done with extreme care.

Snowy

Yes, we've all broken rules from time to time, but with a load of pellets scattered across the highway stopping traffic, you will need a VERY GOOD story to tell the State Patrol when they roll up. Same with a nice HIGH stack of 2000 pounds of pellets sticking up in the air in your pickup licensed at the 1/2 ton rate.

Generally the bearings will be smaller and the steel tube will be thinner... not a good combination.

In the trucking biz we have seen lots of lightweight designs that did not stand the test of time...

Most of the trailers I have seen around here are around 3,000# (2,980). Anything over that is much more expensive. A 5x8 2,980 trailer runs around $800 to $1,100 round here. Have you checked Craiglist? Can get a nice Tandem in some cases, for pretty cheap.

The bigger problem would be with your tires which wouldn't be rated for the weight or distribution of weight. Tires overheat if over loaded or under inflated. Blowing out a tire at highway speed carrying a ton of pellets (in a 1/2 ton or a small trailer) would make probably make the news.

It varies by state but here in Ohio a trailer needs brakes at 3,000 GVW so many trailers are rated around 2,990 to get around that. Most of the smaller trailers with 12" or 13" tires only have a 2,000 pound axle and the tires are rated around 1,000 pounds each. A nice used trailer with a 3,500 pound axle and larger tires might be best.

TLHinCanada said:
The bigger problem would be with your tires which wouldn't be rated for the weight or distribution of weight. Tires overheat if over loaded or under inflated. Blowing out a tire at highway speed carrying a ton of pellets (in a 1/2 ton or a small trailer) would make probably make the news.

A lot of people overlook tires in the big picture. "P" rated tires are not meant for heavy loads, and as you say - are a disaster waiting to happen. We've all overloaded a bit at one point, but it is risky business. Should you be involved in an accident overloaded, you may find your insurnace company walks away.

Unless you must travel a long distance, you might consider making two trips.

The issue of having trouble out on the highway is a BIG ONE

As I only have to drive 5 miles from the store to home with any pellets I buy, the speeds can be kept very low 20 MPH and the issue of any problems becomes a moot point.

Taking a severely overloaded trailer onto a major highway at speed is a BAD IDEA all the way around.

See if you can scare up a good used tandem axle trailer thats rated for more weight than you really need to worry about.

Get a trailer that can do a lot of different things.

I have a medium sized car trailer that I have hauled all sorts of items on.

If you go small and get into trouble, the mess that comes with that sort of thing can end up costing you far more than anything you might have saved by going cheap on the trailer.

Buy a cheap old 80's 3/4 ton Pickup to do the dirty job and and put a trip permit on it when you need it.

Snowy

Remember that if the 1600lb trailer is 1600lb GVWR, that is trailer and payload together, so if the trailer weight is 400lb that gives you 1200lb payload capacity.

The ratings I gave are for payload, they have already taken trailer weight into consideration.

I'll just pony up for one rated for 2900GVWR, that will give me one ton of payload safely.

Snowy - I would go oversized but I may be getting rid of the pickup soon and want to make sure my Subaru Outback could pull what ever I get. The 2900GVWR unit would stay within Subies abilities.

Thanks all.

mascoma said:
The ratings I gave are for payload, they have already taken trailer weight into consideration.

I'll just pony up for one rated for 2900GVWR, that will give me one ton of payload safely.

Snowy - I would go oversized but I may be getting rid of the pickup soon and want to make sure my Subaru Outback could pull what ever I get. The 2900GVWR unit would stay within Subies abilities.

Thanks all.

An Outback is rated to pull 3000#? Wow, I've been waiting for them to bring their diesel here to the US, but I'll have to check that out.

Sorry 2009's rated for 2700 lbs unless you have the 3.0R.

ou can probably get a nice heavier duty one used off Craigs List cheaper than a new light one from a store. Try to stay away from Chinese tires if you can as to say they SUCK wouldn't do them proper justice. From what I have heard that goes as well for US brands made over there. They just love to crack in as little as 2 years.

Not sure if these dealers are near you or not. Cross Country makes a great trailer. I have used one for 4 years delivering over 5000 tons of pellets and it has held up great and the prices at my dealer normally are within reason. Maybe they have something used.

http://www.profilepowersports.com/
1319 Route 16
Conway, NH 03818
(800)638-8888

http://www.northwoodpower.com/
132 Main Street
Northwood, NH 03261
(603) 942-8700

Granz, Inc.
288 North Broadway
Salem, NH 03079
(800) 305-9255